Ross 830 - Advice

Hi Team

My business partner and I have purchased a boat that appears to be well known in these parts, at least as of a few years ago. "Revolution Blues" which is a Ross 830.

We both have young daughters and want to do some family sailing while we have the time with them and maybe do some racing as we get more familiar with the boat.

I have seen a few posts here about her being for sale back in 2018 and wondered if anyone had any advice on sailing traits and tips on sailing a Ross 830.

I have some sailing experience having owned a couple of trailer sailors and hired larger 30-40 foot boats in the distant past, including a year of yachtshare in a 28" benetau.

My first trailer sailor was a 23' Moonraker on the hard at Westahven for a while. The previous owner used to sail her in the Ponsoby yacht club rum races and I ended up crewing for him for a while on his replacement boat, a Ross 930 called Scarlet Fever. Which I note is also for sale at the moment. But at 20 years +, it all seems so long ago now

Anyway, I look forward to being here and hopefully picking some brains :)

We owned Revolution Blues in the early 90s. It used to be called Jon Chere and it came out of Half Moon Bay. I renamed if after one of my favourite Neil Young songs and put the bulb on it as well. When we had it there was an inboard 4-stroke petrol engine that ran through a sail drive. The owner after me pulled it out and added the outboard. 
like all Ross boats it likes to be sailed flat - ‘flat is fast’ - so plenty of twist in the sails, bring the jib car back early and then start cranking on back stay and adding plenty of Cunningham.  You can’t sail with the main cleated off - you have to trim it. In good trim she’ll point really well. 
we used to go cruising in it with babies no problems.  If your daughters are new to sailing  then pick your days to get them used to it. She was our first boat and it was a great boat. 
Saw it was on the market - my kids who are adults now wanted me to buy it back so obviously they still have fond memories. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

We owned Revolution Blues in the early 90s. It used to be called Jon Chere and it came out of Half Moon Bay. I renamed if after one of my favourite Neil Young songs and put the bulb on it as well. When we had it there was an inboard 4-stroke petrol engine that ran through a sail drive. The owner after me pulled it out and added the outboard. 
like all Ross boats it likes to be sailed flat - ‘flat is fast’ - so plenty of twist in the sails, bring the jib car back early and then start cranking on back stay and adding plenty of Cunningham.  You can’t sail with the main cleated off - you have to trim it. In good trim she’ll point really well. 
we used to go cruising in it with babies no problems.  If your daughters are new to sailing  then pick your days to get them used to it. She was our first boat and it was a great boat. 
Saw it was on the market - my kids who are adults now wanted me to buy it back so obviously they still have fond memories. 

Lovely to hear your daughters wanted it back, as you say obviousley fond memories! :)

Thank you for the advice. Great to hear on the sailing techniques.

We are re-locating it from Pine harbour where the current owner has it, up to Gulf harbour tomorrow so plan to do a bit of experimenting on the way.

Interestingly BP when we had Revolution Blues back then we used to keep her up in the Weiti as well. But the formula to use it was the right tide + the shift pattern for a nurse + shift pattern for me = use the boat. It got to be a bit difficult to get out there once the kids got to school age. 

She was refitted in the late 90s with all new gear and raced out of Westpark doing short handed and Coastals each year in a partnership, then later one of the flag officers of the Richmond has been racing her till about four years ago.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

You wouldn’t believe! We’re on J36 😀

No way! 

I sat on the boat today gazing about, wondering where you might be and where another 830 might be!!! 

How could I miss that, what a dork!

I have a bit to learn re rigging up various head sails etc and especially how to depower the main. We had a few moments yesterday in 20 odd knot gusts that had me a bit nervous and especially if it got heavier. If you have a moment at some stage I'd love to catch up with you for a quick discussion and look over your boat.

On 31/10/2021 at 9:32 PM, Vivaldi said:

Yip sure. We’re in an Elliott 1050 now. Happy to have a yarn and talk about main trim etc. look forward to a catch-up 

No wonder I didn't recognise you, Vivaldi is a stunning boat! Congrats on the serious upgrade :)

3 hours ago, Rgvkiwi said:

No wonder I didn't recognise you, Vivaldi is a stunning boat! Congrats on the serious upgrade :)

Cheers - she’s our 5th yacht so took a while to get there. Of all the ones we’ve owned Revolution Blues was my favourite with the exception of what we have now. 

• Like 1