Anchor sugestions.

This guy has some good tests, skip to about 35 mins if you want to cut to the chase.

I've got an excel, love it, held one day at Port Charles in 55+ with the boat doing 1kn back and forth side to side in the gusts.  Dad always ranted that Port Charles had the worst holding around.  The next morning was the only time I've had to tow the anchor out.

But I'm sure if you ask 10 different people you'll get 15 different opinions which one is best.

As IT says, they are all good. Over the years my  impression of the anchor wars is that pretty much anything works if its big enough and far away enough from the boat. Also the kind of bottom you're trying to stick to is important, around Auckland I just use a Danforth with plenty of string as the anchor winch (me) likes a light load. At Barrier I use a big Spade which held well in an 80kt blow a few years ago.

Was set on a Manson Supreme until i discovered the Sarca Excell.

Digs in as soon as you back down.

I bought another one when I changed boats. Same size as Bealle got a No.3.

Been through 2 gales already without moving, including swing around the clock.

Had a few nasty episodes with the last one too and it never let me down. Including a 180 wind shift rising to 25 knots onshore.

GPS said it must have broken out and grabbed again within 5m, I wasn't onboard.

Doesn't need a massive scope, using 15m chain then rope.

Get a sarca excel. They are like backing down into a brick wall. I make sure everyone is sitting down before I back down, due to the sudden stop when it sets. You sleep well knowing your anchor has set solid.

My anchor testing at Arkles Bay. Excel sets within its own length, maybe 1.5 x its length max. Plough would not set, dragged it all over the beach.

When I say the excel is like backing down into a brick wall, I mean it sets immediately, the harder you pull it, the deeper it dives into the ground.

20170930_121600.jpg

20170930_121604.jpg

20170930_121626.jpg

20170930_121636.jpg

• Like 1

Plus one for the Sarca Excel, but as suggested see what fits the bow fairlead also. We changed from a Rocna to the Excel, as the roll bar was less than ideal.

But forget the plough, no matter what chain you have! 

But any of the 3 you've shortlisted are great.

We love our manson supremes. Had one on Jetstream and one currently on pork chop. Digs into sand like crazy and resets quick as. 

We bought a new one last year (35lb with 20m chain) and when sussing options the boys at CRA reckoned the rocna wasn't as good as it used to be. 

Oh and you couldn't pay me enough to put a plow on my bow!

On the strength of the video testing I saw from SV Panope, I purchased a Viking 10.  It is same weight as my Excel, but is bigger footprint with a hoop (I will take a comparison photo later today).  The Excel has never let me down, but I like to try new things, and if Cindy ever lets us loose this summer, I aim to test it out around the Gulf and possibly up North

On 9/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dual Control said:

Now, anyone doing cheap deals?

They are only sold by Chains Ropes & Anchors (as far as I know) at least they are the whole-saler / importer. Best way to get a good deal is go in and ask very nicely. North shore based. (note phoning is less effective than going in).

It may possibly help if you make disparaging comments about the owner (he is very unlikely to be actually working). Ask if its true the owner likes to wear fish-net tights and floral dresses. This has worked for me in the past :-)