Anchor sugestions.

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

This thread pushed me as far as looking at the tables to see what size excel for BP.

Very confusing as I  don't fit anywhere.

I think the issue is you have too many masts. The anchor size question is related to windage, and it is hard to estimate this. Maybe if you removed a mast, you could work out what size anchor to get?

6 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

It was weight vs length. They don't have options that even come close. My boat needs to be half as long or twice as heavy to get on their chart.

I would take the highest and lowest estimates and then go and look at the prices. that will help you decide.  I think prices go up exponentially with size...

We’ve got the Super Sarca on the cat.  Had one on our previous mono as well.  We were looking at the Sarca Excell for the cat at one stage but bow roller required some serious modifications so we opted for the Super Sarca which just sat perfectly mod free.  The Excell digs deeper, the Super digs broader if I could use that expression from the manufacturer.  

The Excell in my experience over the last few years is  super reliable and seriously easy setting.

sets every time in anything! Not sure of the size I have on my 34ft sail boat but have had 3 launchers hanging off me in 20knots and my only concern was the load on my bollard - seriously impressed 

Something to be said for having really good gear holding you in place - makes the family cruise less stressful when your wanting to bugger off on long walks. Park up on lee shore to get supplies etc

Wind shifts are never an issue

do it

Hi Dual Control, I have a Sarca Excel and love it. I have a number 2 on a 30ft boat (a resonably light one, so I swing around alot) and it has never dragged in the 5 years I have owned the boat. I would have thought that the #3 would be plenty big enough for a Beale 33, especially with 20m chain.

My boat had a #1 when I purchased her, I still happily use this all winter for day tripping. I think I have 20m of 7mm chain.

Make sure you have sinking warp and have it spliced onto your chain.

21 hours ago, Black Panther said:

It was weight vs length. They don't have options that even come close. My boat needs to be half as long or twice as heavy to get on their chart.

I have a excel #5 it says it’s for 12-15m boats, Ma’ara is 15.23m and close to 20 tonnes fully loaded, so should have a #6 but when I tried it the point of the anchor hit the bow stem 

Grant was great to deal with said here take a #6 and see if it will fit, if not come back and try the #5, he also said that because they work so well you will be fine with a slightly undersized one. Boat had a very large plough before and we managed to drag that in all sorts of exotic locations around the world.

‘The Excel has dragged a couple of times but always in very windy conditions in shallow water (on station doing race management) but as they say “chain does nothing for you in the locker”

On station at Port Abercrombie in a Chains Ropes and Anchors Enduro race we were anchored in 25m of water getting hit by upto 70kt bullets, we had 120m of 10mm chain out and were rock solid

So short answers is ‘talk to Grant, go with his suggestions and if in doubt put more chain out’

14 minutes ago, Jon said:

On station at Port Abercrombie in a Chains Ropes and Anchors Enduro race we were anchored in 25m of water getting hit by upto 70kt bullets, we had 120m of 10mm chain out and were rock solid

That was not a fun finish to a race!

13 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I'm 20m and designed 12 tones, probably sailing around at 14tonnes, and lots of windage.

I’d go #6 and 12mm chain but as above ask the bondage man as everyone above says you will be blown away by how hard they dig in, I’ve pulled ours up and had two or three metres plus of chain clogged with mud because the anchor has just kept going deeper, also the shape doesn’t allow it to fall any way but point down, theses rollbar anchors look to me to be an afterthought to fix a design fault

I figured that the sideways displacement and resultant compression of the Ex-cel worked better than ploughing up everything to sit on top of the anchor. Once you have a load on top, jammed in under the roll bar, the bugger won't set if the wind or tide shifts. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, gisywaterboy said:

Hi Dual Control, I have a Sarca Excel and love it. I have a number 2 on a 30ft boat (a resonably light one, so I swing around alot) and it has never dragged in the 5 years I have owned the boat. I would have thought that the #3 would be plenty big enough for a Beale 33, especially with 20m chain.

My boat had a #1 when I purchased her, I still happily use this all winter for day tripping. I think I have 20m of 7mm chain.

Make sure you have sinking warp and have it spliced onto your chain.

Thanks giswaterboy, I went in and was recommended the Sarca Excel size 3 which I purchased. I was presently surprised by the price. It weighs pretty much the same as my CQR (30lb) and really looks the part. I lifted it out of my car and rested on the footpath and went to get a trolley but by the time I came back it had buried itself into the concrete!

• Haha 1
On 11/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, Winter said:

@Dual Control I also have a beale 33 and a new anchor is on my list  this year. I would love to see a photo of your new anchor on the bow when it arrives please 

Hi Winter, 

the Sarca Excel no 4 fits my boat perfectly okay. I now have 20 meters of chain and 50 meters 14mm new rope.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, Winter said:

@Dual Control I also have a beale 33 and a new anchor is on my list  this year. I would love to see a photo of your new anchor on the bow when it arrives please 

Hi Winter, here’s the photo of my Sarca Excel no 3 on the bow of my boat. I was assured that I didn’t need to go up in size to the 4 so I’m hoping that with 20 meters of chain and now 50 metres of 14mm rope I can relax at night if the wind picks up.

A35BA2D0-813B-4FA0-8835-FF5DC7867CD4.jpeg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Blunt Instrument said:

Wouldn't these anchors respond differently with them being pulled thru water ( denser) and softer sand.

My experience with using them in water indicates that would not be the case. The plough, I think the chain was doing most of the holding, we could never tell if it had set (i.e. it hadn't set). The excell, it pulls up tight and hard every time.

If you want to get all techo about it, the steel is the same relative density in and out of water between the two anchors. Both anchors are approx the same weight, so being in or out of water isn't going to make any differentiation.

But note, I never said this was a technical anchor test. I just wanted to see how they set, and was blown away with the difference in setting performance. Enough said.

Bottom type does make a lot of difference with anchor performance. That said, I believe Arkles Bay is typical of most places I park, and more to the point, broadly typical of Hauraki Gulf anchorages. By spare anchor is a fortress, which is ideal for soft bottoms. The difference in performance between a plough and an excell is never, ever going to be addressed by bottom type. I doubt I'd used a plough to anchor a sunshade at a BBQ....

The so called modern anchors are not that modern anymore but the general difference is a concave scoop rather than convex flukes i.e ploughs dig in by literally making a furrow so they require a bit of runway and seabed composition like a farmers paddock and if you have ever ploughed a field with a wee Massey Fergusan 35 then you know how important soil structure and the absence of rocks are! The modern anchors are all a variation of a digger bucket  with differences in degree of concavity, blade area, stiffness of structure etc. The Excel appears to be a hybrid with elements of the plough and spade anchors combined.

But they are all pretty much of a muchness once you get into the proven models- Rocna's, Supremes, Sarca's, Spades etc with each manufacturer having loyal adherants and theres alway plenty of scuttlebutt about the quality- i.e "chinese manufactured anchors are no good etc" but just get one that fits your boat roller and budget and you're good to go. There are no bad choices for our local conditions. The rule for anchors is if youre unsure just get a bigger one!