Living aboard Tamaki river

Hey guys, you may remember I posted a few months ago looking for advice on buying a yacht with a few friends, none of which have any experience. Thanks for all of your advice, I am now the owner of a Stewart 34. I am hoping to liveaboard while I study in Auckland next year, as it seems to be a very economical solution. I'll be studying at AUT south Campus so it looks like the Tamaki river would be the closest and best suited to find a mooring. Unfortunately it doen't look like they come up often, was wondering if anyone had any advice on living aboard in the Tamaki river and where to find a mooring or if anyone knows someone who may be able to help. I've already asked on the Tamaki River moorings page with not a huge amount of luck. I am hopefully wanting to be as close to PBYC as possible, as I'll likely use their facilities and dinghy storage. Any advice welcome! Cheers, Gabe

I presume you mean the PYBC. I think you will have to become a member to use the facilities and dinghy lockers. There have been several live aboards up around there over the years. Be prepared for a few sleepless nights when you get a good blow from the s/west.

• Upvote 1

Ask the council for a pile mooring, more readily available as a good mooring never comes up, best spots are above pybc towards panmure bridge. Northerly blows can be interesting and almost defiantly need a good outboard for dinghy, tide is quite strong.