DIY Soft Padeyes

Anyone made them, any comments on lifespan etc. Like the idea for cost and simplicity, always wondered how slippery Dyneema epoxied onto glass discs last, but was looking at a heavy penny washer and thought even a diamond knot or dogbone on one side and a bit of sika could be made into a very tidy high load solution.

5 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Anyone made them, any comments on lifespan etc. Like the idea for cost and simplicity, always wondered how slippery Dyneema epoxied onto glass discs last, but was looking at a heavy penny washer and thought even a diamond knot or dogbone on one side and a bit of sika could be made into a very tidy high load solution.

Have a couple of mates who make these…not exactly sure of the process but It was dyneema sandwiched in carbon and I think silicone muffin trays were used in one version to get nice disc . Very strong but I think watertightness in the deck core is an issue ? 

Professional!  Was going to make a few for sticking inside for hang things from plus outside for spin blocks and jib leads.

Thought that half an hour going through brass plumbing fittings might get a quite a good solution too 

McDuff is selling these http://www.blueshark.cc/Soft-padeye/r-221.html which look pretty good and very cheap compared to Rope Eye

24 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The rings are tubes that are glued into the deck, to seal up core. Kind of a hollow upside down top hat

Did you turn the tubes?  Or is that some prefabricated something else?

How do you stop water ingress?  Does it just pool inside the tube?

14 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Did you turn the tubes?  Or is that some prefabricated something else?

How do you stop water ingress?  Does it just pool inside the tube?

Not turned. Carbon tube glued into carbon plate and edges sanded.

push dyneema through hole, put sika around the flat carbon, pull up tight, clean up and let set.  No ingress in to cabin, I suppose the base of the dyneema stayed damp, but never seemed to be an issue.

39 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Not turned. Carbon tube glued into carbon plate and edges sanded.

push dyneema through hole, put sika around the flat carbon, pull up tight, clean up and let set.  No ingress in to cabin, I suppose the base of the dyneema stayed damp, but never seemed to be an issue.

Aha  ! that’s the missing link In the ones I’ve seen