Choosing a berth

Hi all - I'm looking at getting a berth at Westhaven - in the past when I've spoken with berth holders at different marinas they've spoken some berths being significantly better or worse than others. Assuming I get a choice, what makes a better berth? Pointing in/out of the prevailing winds, etc? Specifically for Westhaven, what should I be looking for? 

Have you enquired with the westhaven office? I thought they were pretty much full.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that, but westhaven is pretty well sheltered, theres not much between the berths so long as you fit

When we were looking for a berth for "Revolution Blues", sub 10.5m. There were plenty available they said....surprisingly, also the cheapest of the 3.

It was a differnt story for larger, all of them were on waiting lists.

Because of the way most boats steer, if you have a choice, get a berth so the finger etc is on the outside of your turn in. Then the natural drift will pull you into the finger rather than away from it.

I also put a large cleat on the outer end of my berth so I could drop a spring line on it. I could then come in single handed if necessary, with the spring line holding me against the berth.

Depends on how big the boat is, but say you're 12m plus usually people reverse down the fairway to have a bit of steerage and control. Also it depends on how grunty your engine/prop combo is, a previous boat could stop in a boat length if I put it in reverse, the current one you have to post a letter to the engine room wait for the engineer to get back from morning tea before anything happens.

Also some fairways are wider than others, and the prevailing is SW so if you intend to spend a bit of time in the cockpit or if the companionway is a bit leaky you might want to face the boat west.

All that said I just got the closest berth to the gate!

But not too close on the motorway side as you get too much road grime. ie L-O Pier aim for about #20 P-T aim for 10.

On both sides I wouldn't be 1-6 as it is nice to have a little bit of runway if it goes wrong so you aren't on the rocks and it gives you a lot more privacy

Thanks for your replies everyone. Keen to minimise motorway/bridge grime! Ended up taking an odd-numbered (so facing into the SW breeze when backed in) on the Southern size, about midway down the finger so also far enough from the rocks. Cheers