Masthead wind transducer repair/refurbishment

On 23/11/2021 at 12:05 AM, Adrianp said:

Have you tried using them? How do they work?

I brought one of the fosters bits a while ago and tried with with my Ryobi battery drill. The battery drill just didn't have the grunt to lift me up, even on a 2:1 halyard and a Harken 40 winch. Maybe a better battery drill would but I'm thinking the smarter way for me is to use a 240v drill off my inverter - just way more grunt. 

On 22/11/2021 at 10:51 AM, Adrianp said:

Has anyone found a cheap 240v tool that can do this job? I'm thinking for the rare time we need one of these to get me up the mast, we could plug in and run off our 3kw inverter. 

Cant you just climb up like a normal person? 🤣

3 hours ago, Adrianp said:

I brought one of the fosters bits a while ago and tried with with my Ryobi battery drill. The battery drill just didn't have the grunt to lift me up, even on a 2:1 halyard and a Harken 40 winch. Maybe a better battery drill would but I'm thinking the smarter way for me is to use a 240v drill off my inverter - just way more grunt. 

Most 230v drills have relatively low torque and high RPM.

The Milwaukee M28 and the M18 are 122Nm

The WinchRite is 130Nm and the Ewincher is 90Nm

The electric high torque Makita drill is 50Nm - that might be enough...

You probably want something that is at least 60Nm...

In my experience the winch handle devices are not much use. My neighbour has one, and when he saw my ultimate cranker, he went and ordered one. No comparison with the one he had. My ultimite cranker will lift me to the masthead  (circa 82kg, about 16m ) 3x on one batt.

Job done, for reference for others whose transducers stop working: looks like most just need new bearings - 10 dollars each from Gofish - good service there. Make sure that you get them unlubricated. Grant at gofish lubricates them as they are used in fishing reels which is great. BUT- the anemometer is slowed down by even a small amount of lube.

If you need new rotating cups or wind direction swivel, discount marine has the kits.

Thanks again for the help

• Upvote 1
On 18/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, Rgvkiwi said:

Sweet thank you, the boat came with a bosuns chair but at 100kg's neither of us were sure a Ross 830 mast will handle that much...any thoughts (liability free! :) ) 

A good tip on the shackle, would never have thought of that.

I’ve been up that rig - it’s pretty skinny at the top :-)