Boat Music & Setup

Whats your go to boat tracks, and what are you using to play them?

I thought it was all iphone to bluetooth speakers but apparently a hard wired head unit, amp and heavy duty speakers and 1.5 boat dollars are the way to go.

Bearing in mind there is music for lots of different kinds of sailing but but there is so much absolutely excellent music out there would be good to hear what people are into except please no Jimmy Buffet or Rod Stewart 🤣 

Bluetooth head unit (fusion) playing spotify from my phone. Remote controller on the tiller. 10inch sub and 2 x 7.7 signature range fusion speakers in the cockpit, 700w 4 chanel d-class amp running the cockpit speakers and bridged onto the sub.   2x 6x9s downstairs running off the head unit.

It goes pretty hard. Draws 25amps when cranked up and has a cooling fan for the amp so we dont need to use the cold Christmas ham to cool it like last summer. 

Also have my ipod plugged into the head unit AUX cable but have been using that less and less. 

Numerous playlists on spotify for different occasions. One big one that is a few days long that I keep adding favorite songs too and a few party playlists. 

Not sure if this link to my long boat playlist works here.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/43ohpzDYWLbgpznbrpwYHt?si=-HNa0JHmQZmBLW8Jk7mdaw&utm_source=copy-link

• Like 2

One of my kids shouts and screams most of the time and he’s so loud that even BooBoos magic ain’t gonna drown that sh*t out. 

There‘s nothing quite so embarrassing as having your 3.5y old shouting out “Hilfe, Hilfe Hilfe!“ across lake Geneva to the other little boats in your regatta because he doesn’t like the way the boat wobbles when we tack…

but generally when the kids are not on board I use phone playing iTunes or SoundCloud through a Bluetooth speaker. I now buy a month unlimited es Roaming package when we go to ensure fresh weather and streamable tunes.

Older fusion head unit feeds two very poorly placed speakers in the cockpit (hint to anyone setting these things up - do not put a speaker each side of the cockpit facing each other, noise cancellation is a thing). So old its running an AUX cord set-up.  No Bluetooth.

Using the RCA-out from the Fusion head unit to feed a little 25w D Class amp that powers two small speakers from a Sony 5.1 surround system, bought for $5 from the local Red Cross shop.  These are at the front end of the saloon in each corner facing the length of the saloon.  Corner placement emphasises what little bass response they have and they are surprisingly balanced.

Music is Spotify playlists and all sorts from Dave Brubeck (Take 5 fame, 1950's jazz) to King Missile (of Detachable Penis fame) by way of 1960's, 70's, 80's 90's and 2000's alt-rock and alt-country and pop and EDM and most stuff in between.  Radio includes BFM, RNZ but you probably already figured that out.

8inch fusions in the cockpit hooked up to a class d 4channel that also covers 6.5in components in the saloon. 8in sub up forward think that is getting like 700w .  
went well for a while ….. now blowing sh*t up :( 

going to swap the saloon for 6x9 should sort it 

doesn’t suck that much juice either 2.8amp when pushed- on a sunny day the solar pays for it :) 

I have no head unit, I run a bluetooth receiver into cerwin vega equiliser then onto a 3 channel D class amp. This powers 2x fusion cockpit speakers on R channel and my saloon speakers (6.5 Alpine component) on the L channel, third channel powers the 8" sub in the saloon. I Control the fader, volume and sub volume through the equiliser, sounds great. I listen to reggae, funk, house, and dub most of the time.

Hard to go past JL audio’s marine speakers for sound quality. I’ve done several installs of JL stuff now, all you can do at the end of the install is choose a good song, set a decent volume, and stand in the cockpit smiling like a moron at how good it sounds. 

From memory of the training I did with a JL tech from the US, rather than ‘marinising’ a car speaker (which are designed to sound good in enclosed spaces like in a car) they have started from the beginning and designed speakers that are made to be outside in open air, and without a specific sized box behind them. They sound amazing. Better even than the Bose marine speakers I’ve installed too, and a much easier install due to not having the box enclosure on the back like the Bose ones have.

Navico are the Agents for JL Audio here in NZ. That means either mattm (see above) or me can provide you with pricing etc.

The biggest JL Audio system I've done was 16 Speakers, 8 amps, and could draw up to 125A!  WAY too loud for me to get anywhere near on high volume, the the owner loved it! 

Audio is NOT my strongest point...

14 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Navico are the Agents for JL Audio here in NZ. That means either mattm (see above) or me can provide you with pricing etc.

The biggest JL Audio system I've done was 16 Speakers, 8 amps, and could draw up to 125A!  WAY too loud for me to get anywhere near on high volume, the the owner loved it! 

Audio is NOT my strongest point...

Thanks IT - I’m just wanting to replace a couple of old cockpit speakers -I think they are 6.5 inch but I’d need to check - one of them has stopped working. Based on Mattm recommendation I thought I’d go with JL (depending on price and availability of course 😀

The signature range fusion speakers are also very good.  Can be brought at burnsco or marine deals. I have run them for a while and they pump out damn good sound. Haven't heard the JL ones but I'm sure these are comparable and likely a bit cheaper. 

8 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

The signature range fusion speakers are also very good.  Can be brought at burnsco or marine deals. I have run them for a while and they pump out damn good sound. Haven't heard the JL ones but I'm sure these are comparable and likely a bit cheaper. 

You might like to read this page https://www.marinestereo.com/Fusion-Speakers-vs-JL-Audio.html

"Fusion is a Lambo, JL Audio is a Rolls"

The top end JL Audio is hands down the best stereo I've ever heard, but it's spendy!

11 hours ago, B00B00 said:

If I hadn’t heard JL, I’d probably be saying the same. If you haven’t heard JL, you may not miss the difference. The Signature stuff is certainly the best stuff Fusion has ever made. But it’s not the same. 

Fusion has been brought by Garmin, so you’d possibly find better pricing from a marine electrician who is a Garmin dealer, than B or MD. It’s very seldom that either of their pricing is particularly good, except maybe on end of line / discontinued stuff at MD, otherwise, on electronics, a lot of the time their ‘why pay’ price is way above RRP, and ‘their price’ is often full RRP or sometimes even above too! If anyone wants to compare, I’m happy to oblige. 

13 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Thanks IT - I’m just wanting to replace a couple of old cockpit speakers -I think they are 6.5 inch but I’d need to check - one of them has stopped working. Based on Mattm recommendation I thought I’d go with JL (depending on price and availability of course 😀

Be worth measuring the hole you need to fill, and the overall size you need to hide existing screw holes etc. Also, if you have room to go a few mm bigger if needed. Not all 6.5’s are the same, and the way JL measures them is different to other brands - their 6.5” is typically smaller diameter overall. 

are there any brands that do decent 6x9s still? the problem i have is that the holes in the cockpit are already cut so to change to another speaker size means filling, painting etc. so at this stage i replace with cheap marine 6x9s out of the states as they are the only option i can find but i know that they will only last a coupe of years max and then i will have to do something

4 hours ago, Young Entertainer said:

are there any brands that do decent 6x9s still? the problem i have is that the holes in the cockpit are already cut so to change to another speaker size means filling, painting etc. so at this stage i replace with cheap marine 6x9s out of the states as they are the only option i can find but i know that they will only last a coupe of years max and then i will have to do something

Supercheap Auto... several 6x9s

On 21/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Older fusion head unit feeds two very poorly placed speakers in the cockpit (hint to anyone setting these things up - do not put a speaker each side of the cockpit facing each other, noise cancellation is a thing). So old its running an AUX cord set-up.  No Bluetooth.

Using the RCA-out from the Fusion head unit to feed a little 25w D Class amp that powers two small speakers from a Sony 5.1 surround system, bought for $5 from the local Red Cross shop.  These are at the front end of the saloon in each corner facing the length of the saloon.  Corner placement emphasises what little bass response they have and they are surprisingly balanced.

Music is Spotify playlists and all sorts from Dave Brubeck (Take 5 fame, 1950's jazz) to King Missile (of Detachable Penis fame) by way of 1960's, 70's, 80's 90's and 2000's alt-rock and alt-country and pop and EDM and most stuff in between.  Radio includes BFM, RNZ but you probably already figured that out.

Have you checked that the polarity is right for the speakers? 

Also +1 for the signature range fusion. I installed 2x7.7" and 2x6.5" with amp and new bt remote into mates fizz boat the other day. It cranked hard enough that he decided not to buy a sub 😁