Boat Music & Setup

10 hours ago, Young Entertainer said:

are there any brands that do decent 6x9s still? the problem i have is that the holes in the cockpit are already cut so to change to another speaker size means filling, painting etc. so at this stage i replace with cheap marine 6x9s out of the states as they are the only option i can find but i know that they will only last a coupe of years max and then i will have to do something

I believe that fusion do 8.8" speakers. That could be an option if they fit? 0.2" is only 5mm so most likely would be a straightforward swap as long as you had the room for the extra height. They would crank too!

On 24/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, Island Time said:

You might like to read this page https://www.marinestereo.com/Fusion-Speakers-vs-JL-Audio.html

"Fusion is a Lambo, JL Audio is a Rolls"

The top end JL Audio is hands down the best stereo I've ever heard, but it's spendy!

The article on the linked page is terrible! Supposedly Fusion vs JL yet it's mainly Wet Sounds vs JL!

13 hours ago, bazzathemammoth said:

Have you checked that the polarity is right for the speakers? 

Yeah - its all fine except that the two speakers face each other across the cockpit.  If you sit exactly between them its like headphones.  Anywhere outside that sweetspot its either silence or some degree of frequency cancellation.

4 hours ago, eruptn said:

Is there a solution to cockpit speakers facing each other.... ?

Angle them so they are not facing each other.  When i get some time I'm going to either make a louvered front for them, or make a box for the existing holes that points the speaker's down the cockpit.  Louvres take up less space, box will be more effective.

On 26/11/2021 at 8:24 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

Yeah - its all fine except that the two speakers face each other across the cockpit.  If you sit exactly between them its like headphones.  Anywhere outside that sweetspot its either silence or some degree of frequency cancellation.

No offense, but that's not how it works. When both speakers push out = high pressure, when both speakers suck in= low pressure. If one pushes out when the other pulls in = no pressure. Swap the polarity to one of the speakers and I'll bet you will get your bass back.

Plenty of boats have speakers facing each other and sound ok (mine included).

Live music? I mean, Händel's Water Music...

Many moons ago (late 1970s) I sailed some on a school ship, this one:

On one occasion we ha teenage girls as crew/pupils. Some of them knew each other already. They sang in the same choir...

/Martin

• Upvote 1

Hey baz 

I thought about your polarity theory and tried it in the cockpit . Difference is massive when you reverse polarity on one speaker! I knew it didn’t sound right just never considered the cancellation issue! 
got over the struggling car speakers in the saloon and stumped up for a nice pair of Kef outdoor box speakers for the saloon—- plug and play, totally sealed and water proof so will be very happy in the saloon. They are a bit big but we are definitely ready to party now. 
look out for a loud townson this summer - half volume and you’ve gotta get out of the cabin hahaha pointless but who cares 

now if the freezer works and the weather behaves I can forget this sh#r year via long summer days floating about listening to tunes!!

play around with the polarity if they are facing each other folks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good to hear. When I install a stereo I normally wire the first speaker in, then add the rest in one at a time.

For the other speakers I figure out how to wire by playing a bass heavy song and changing the polarity to figure out which way sounds better. I find the best way to do this is to use the fader/balance adjustment - if bass goes up as speaker brought in then it's good if not it's bad. Sometimes it's not that easy to tell. Acoustics is a really complicated topic and this is a basic way of getting the best sound from a budget system.

If you have the coin then a full time alignment and 16+ band eq system will knock your socks off, but I don't know of any marine versions. Most of my 12v audio is from cars back in the day.

• Upvote 1