Dipstick fallen in fuel tank

So today was my first day on my new Raven 31 boat and I did something very stupid. As I was figuring out how things were working on the boat I dropped a wooden dipstick in the fuel tank. I don’t think there is any way to fish it out through that small hole, so my plan is to leave it there for the next few weeks and then in January, when I have a haul out scheduled for an anti foul, get someone to take the tank out and hopefully extract the dipstick. I’m afraid this is not going to be a cheap exercise as I think you need to get the engine out before you can get the tank out.

I’m thinking it would be ok to use it in the short term, I don’t think that dipstick is going anywhere. But in the long term it would start dissolving and particles could find their way into the engine?

Anyone has any better ideas or advice? Do you think it’s safe to use the engine for the time being?

Thanks

It'll most likely be fine. The dipstick probably floats - even in diesel. Its unlikely to block the tank outlet either way. What's the tank made of? Are you certain the tank has no access ports? ( used for cleaning). If not, and access allows, I'd put one in, then reach in and get the dipstick! 

Go fishing with a hook bent onto  the end of a length of seizing wire, easiest if the tank is about half full

Then make a new dipstick that’s too long to drop in.

• Upvote 1

I’d try a metal tube, big enough to slide a loop of something down the inside to stick out the end and form a big loop, long cable ties might be good, maybe heavy fishing nylon. Drop the tube down the dipstick hole, and try lasso the end of the stick. Cables ties could be done in a way that the loop tie could be tightened once the stick lasso’d, and the pipe pulled off to allow more room to pull the stick out the hole.  Maybe a bit of 10mm hose with a bend in it to stir the tank round to find and move the stick. Could take a while, depends on the size and shape of the tank, but would have to be better than removing the motor?

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

and when time allows put i sight glass in, Should not have to remove engine to get tank out surely??

Yep, had to do that on my Cav 32. Had a leak in the tank and had to remove engine to get tank out.

Yep what Matt m said.  Bit of 6mm aluminium tube from Bunnings with a wire loop through it,  allows you to bend it. 

if you can’t see it, a 20 dollar endoscope camera off trade me that connects to your phone so you can see what you are doing.

have salvaged a lost tool out af a hydraulic tank doing exactly this last week.  It wasn’t me who put it there!

Leave it in there.  Your fuel system has (should have....) a decent filter so even if the stick does break down, its not going to get to the engine.

Sight tube is a great idea, or a new stick with a big head on it that won't go down the filler tube!

Thank you all for your comments.

I'll have a go with a small tube + cable tie loop, but I think my chances are slim. The dipstick fell through a vertical inlet pipe probably 200mm long so I think I'll only manage to reach the area of the tank directly below the deck filler.

The tank is stuck behind the engine so I'm pretty sure the engine needs to be taken out to access the tank. But reading some of your comments I might just leave the dipstick there and only consider taking the tank out if I ever have to do major works on the engine or replace it - hopefully never!

I'll definitely get myself a longer dipstick!

On 27/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, Black Panther said:

Will the wood break down?

Nah, highly unlikely. But might depend on what kind of wood? The diesel will pretty much preserve that bit of wood forever. I’d pour in some biocide and go sailing. Change your fuel filter next time you think about it. 

On 27/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, Jacopo said:

So today was my first day on my new Raven 31 boat and I did something very stupid. As I was figuring out how things were working on the boat I dropped a wooden dipstick in the fuel tank. I don’t think there is any way to fish it out through that small hole, so my plan is to leave it there for the next few weeks and then in January, when I have a haul out scheduled for an anti foul, get someone to take the tank out and hopefully extract the dipstick. I’m afraid this is not going to be a cheap exercise as I think you need to get the engine out before you can get the tank out.

I’m thinking it would be ok to use it in the short term, I don’t think that dipstick is going anywhere. But in the long term it would start dissolving and particles could find their way into the engine?

Anyone has any better ideas or advice? Do you think it’s safe to use the engine for the time being?

Thanks

Ezy Peezy - All you need is a set of 'Magic Fingers'  (Super Cheap)  and  a stick light then go fishing - done it many times.   Wood wont dissolve !

Don’t leave it in there..

When you need the motor for some reason in a big sea, you will have that fear of the wood breaking down or sloshing around and blocking the inlet.   You can be assured it will only happen when you really need it.