Bit of weather heading our way?

13 minutes ago, Psyche said:

"Gale and storm force winds about Cyclone CODY, both offshore and as it approaches the northeast of the North Island, will generate large easterly swells, significant sea surges/rips and coastal inundation about exposed eastern coastlines."

off to the manukau later as e10 ,sunday have a ride booked on the AC yacht so hope it stays away.

1 hour ago, Psyche said:

"Gale and storm force winds about Cyclone CODY, both offshore and as it approaches the northeast of the North Island, will generate large easterly swells, significant sea surges/rips and coastal inundation about exposed eastern coastlines."

Yeah it’s the sea state that might get scary . These types of close to shore generated swells can have a very short but intense peak height period of just few hours . The prediction for this one is 6-7 metres E-SE which would stand up beautifully/horribly  in the Colville channel in an outgoing tide and probably a metre or two higher than forecast 

10 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Back to the weather, I can't really see anything that scary. Metservice says 40 kn in Colville for a few hours and that's it.

yeah, from the most recent modelling , looks to be tracking a bit further east before dropping down.

5 hours ago, harrytom said:

I dont think so,  I use their site and  print A4 pages to suit areas that I want to get in close with or find structure ,handy site but does have limited charts,Good when at home you can move cusor around and zoom in and out,nn  https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/51277-chart-nz-532-approaches-to-auckland

History
Added 18 Sep 2012
Last updated 14 Feb 2021
Revisions 16 - Browse all revisions
Current revision Imported on Feb. 14, 2021 from GeoTIFF in WGS 84.

You've quoted NZ532. I can only assume your screenshot above is also from NZ532?

If you take a look at NZ5324, which has more detail for Sunday Rock. You'll see it has a 2.7m in exactly the same place as Navionics.

To reiterate, the reason Navionics says 2.7m is because that's what the LINZ chart says.  Screenshots of each below.

Screenshot_20220115-094500_Boating.thumb.jpg.93e7068f80ce94b3586a7ccb249959e4.jpg1647517769_Screenshot_20220115-094336_Multi-TIFFViewer.thumb.jpg.88736a7c4f0d4d8d474d776c57875e27.jpg

1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

Yeah it’s the sea state that might get scary . These types of close to shore generated swells can have a very short but intense peak height period of just few hours . The prediction for this one is 6-7 metres E-SE which would stand up beautifully/horribly  in the Colville channel in an outgoing tide and probably a metre or two higher than forecast 

I saws one model a few days ago that had 8m on the eastern side of Barrier but thats now saying 3.8, as we speak a mate is weathering it out in the Cove. Def not for me but should prove an "interesting" experience.

4 minutes ago, Psyche said:

I saws one model a few days ago that had 8m on the eastern side of Barrier but thats now saying 3.8, as we speak a mate is weathering it out in the Cove. Def not for me but should prove an "interesting" experience.

Wow. Bold choice for sure. I guess it's probably ok in there, but if it's not... 

The storm is definitely tracking further east and looking less scary as a result. Metservice seems reluctant to ease their official forecasts though, compared to what most of the models are showing.

11 minutes ago, Psyche said:

As in the Cove on Rakitu? Sounds mad, I would have thought most people would have bailed on Eastern Barrier. But what are the details of the boat? shallow enough to tie up to the shore? Then maybe not so silly.

7 minutes ago, Psyche said:

12m launch, theres a mooring in close

Has he seen the invoice for his diesel and not wanting to burn any more than strictly necessary? (hence wanting to stay around the back)

23 minutes ago, Fish said:

As in the Cove on Rakitu? Sounds mad, I would have thought most people would have bailed on Eastern Barrier. But what are the details of the boat? shallow enough to tie up to the shore? Then maybe not so silly.

Pretty close to the worst conditions possible for back of the barrier I'd think. Huge easterly swell and quite a lot of forecast uncertainty. Certainly wouldn't find me back there. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tonga-eruption-tsunami-waves-hit-shore-warning-also-issued-for-north-island-coastline-after-massive-blast/5ITWZZ3DJ2J6HPURW537PWGBLA/

The popular Tutukaka coast in Northland has been heavily impacted by surging seas caused by the eruption, with campers being evacuated and boats being damaged after losing their moorings at the local marina.

"Tutukaka marina appears to have been really impacted by these tsunami surges - police have been evacuating all boaties and there have been reports of significant damage and boats getting dragged out off their moorings on the receding surges," tweeted Rebecca Hendl-Smith.

Some freaky stuff on the weiti river last night too. At least a 0.5m surge (properly measured on my tide level gauge) and some strong currents. At least 5 surge cycles. I sat on the end of the wharf until 3am watching it all.  No damage anywhere here that i can see. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, B00B00 said:

Some freaky stuff on the weiti river last night too. At least a 0.5m surge (properly measured on my tide level gauge) and some strong currents. At least 5 surge cycles. I sat on the end of the wharf until 3am watching it all.  No damage anywhere here that i can see. 

3 am? Did you get a notification?? I heard nothing, in the past we have heaps of warnings but nothing this time??

Surge into Whitianga last night has moved some of the fairway bouys into the harbour and some out of the harbour. All channel bouys to the marina are gone. They are now up harbour amongst the moored boats. Probably wrapped around the moorings. What a mess.

Big swell at the moment and tide very high considering that it is nearly low water.

Will give the harbour master something to do.