Old Pics

Some pics from around and about. All in Thames. 

Notably I'm wondering about the type these fishing boats are modelled after, and if I might source more details. Most look pretty similar, possibly many from the same yard, but to my somewhat untrained eye they seem a bit different to the mullet boats. 

Also interesting, the registration numbers. Anyone know where I might find details of this register?

Lastly, TS43, seen here taking part in some kind of regatta on the Kauaeranga or Waihou. Hard to date the pic, but I'm wondering what the event might have been. Seems quite a crowd on the riverbank there. TS43 was apparently built by my grand father (b. 1901) (or great grandfather b. 1853) . It's not clear as the inscription is a little ambiguous and we've no solid date for the pic - those who might've known are long gone, either physically or mentally. Thoughts?

nlnzimage (1).jpg

IMG_1848.JPG

153228750_3605398252900992_4285014361883493731_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah that TS12 looks quite short, she'd be one of the shorter one's, though. Some of the others look a bit longer than 18ft, but they don't seem so beamy as a true mullet boat.

BTW, some digging around in Thames Star from 1909 shows up that TS43 was likely called Rita, and the event is likely the Thames-Kopu regatta, where Rita came second (by only 10s) in the up to 7hp launch race. Owned by my great grandfather according to the paper article, so likely built by him and not my grand father.

number of yrs ago had a weekend away on a "s" class swiftsure,quick boat,and yes based on a mulletboat. there were several classes that all looked similar.  S  =16ft   T maybe 14ft??  v =18ft n = 20ft L =22ft h =26ft and pretty sure the largest was I =32ft.  Perhaps Harold Kidd would have the answers.

From recollections,a story my father told me,that grandfather early 1920s spent a few days in Thames where they would the row boat around setting nets for mullet,flounder.I presume as they filled the internal they would install washboards until there was only room left in the cockpit.The idea being lots of canvas to get to AK wharves quickly to sell fish.I belive it was like 48 hr return trip.AK Thames Ak before ice was available.

Next time I’m over there (with lockdown it’s been our local) I’ll take a photo from the same angle as first photo

Its all full of our invasive imports         Mangroves 

Nice to see what the natural state would have been like

On 13/12/2021 at 6:40 AM, Jon said:

Next time I’m over there (with lockdown it’s been our local) I’ll take a photo from the same angle as first photo

Its all full of our invasive imports         Mangroves 

Nice to see what the natural state would have been like

It's had mangroves for at least 43y, don't seem to be anymore now than back when I was playing there age 5. Be cool to see a new pic, though. 

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Huh? Mangroves are native?

Been in the upper part of the nth island for 20000yrs

yes, certainly indigenous.

"An indigenous species may be defined as one that has not been introduced (either intentionally or unintentionally) to an area by humans (Allaby 1998). By definition then, the mangrove A. marina subsp. australasica qualifies as an indigenous member of the New Zealand flora, given that its existence here can be dated some thousands of years before humans inhabited, or even visited, these islands. Mangroves have inhabited New Zealand coastlines for approximately 19 million years, as indicated by the presence of Avicennia-type silicified woods associated with lower Miocene rocks from the Kaipara Harbour (Sutherland 2003)."

"...pollen preserved in sediments from the Firth of Thames (North Island) confirms the presence of A. marina in New Zealand from around 11 000 years BP (Pocknall 1989)."

Both from:"The New Zealand mangrove: review of the current state of knowledge. May 2007 ARCTP325

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-plans-strategies/unitary-plan/history-unitary-plan/docs332mangroves/Appendix-3.32.2.pdf

That report is pretty interesting though as it does explain why mangroves appear to be increasing in area.

I read a book by Wade Doak, the diver, who said that Mangroves were even planted around the Thames coast as they trap sediments and provide a fantastic nursery for all sorts of fish and crustacean life.

Cheers