Battery selection

I have to replace my start battery. The experts have u believe its gotta be a 'marine' battery. Seems to me to be another way of extracting more wedge Roughly 100% more.

As an example - 57MF 530cca 12v car batt =$133 but double that for a 57MF M, also 530CCA.

Seems like mmms must be bloody valuable.

Isn't 12v 12v no matter what? 

6 hours ago, Romany said:

I have to replace my start battery. The experts have u believe its gotta be a 'marine' battery. Seems to me to be another way of extracting more wedge Roughly 100% more.

As an example - 57MF 530cca 12v car batt =$133 but double that for a 57MF M, also 530CCA.

Seems like mmms must be bloody valuable.

Isn't 12v 12v no matter what? 

If your' not deep cycling it then a car battery should be fine, the load on a starting battery is actually pretty small as long as it has the CCA you need. When you think about it you start the engine, maybe 10-15 seconds max even with glow preheating and maybe run the windlass for a few minutes. 

The marine versions are built with power boats in mind. They have to handle a lot more pounding and thus are internally supported better hence the price difference. For a sailboat, the hammering is not an issue, so an ordinary start battery is just fine.

• Like 1

I agree with non spill, but AGM is he better choice for start rather than Gel. Gel is not so good at giving up the juice. AGM performs a little more like FLA with faster Amp production in a high draw situation.
But if cheap is the key point here, then FLA will always be the cheapest.

• Upvote 1