Xmas cruise

Heading to the Merc's around 19th December then Waiheke, Xmas in Westhaven and NY at Kawau Is. Subject to weather conditions of course! Already testing the ground tackle, 3 boats rafted up in the Western Channel on Friday evening.

imagejpeg_2001002003004005.jpg

Where did you anchor and what depths and current were there in the main chanel?

We sussed it out on a road trip last year and planned to go their last christmas but the weather didnt cooperate so we only made it as far as matai bay. Wanted to try it again this year.

Initially went to town and anchored among the moorings near the fishing club(good meals, worth a visit).

Fish and chips and ice cream at the northern end,  dinghy to the wharf and walk up.

Later moved to just behind the little island inside the entrance and did some dinghy fishing.

Shallowest spot is opposite the motor camp. Plenty of depth for me at 2.7m but hit it at half tide rising. Line up early as the tide will sweep you in very quickly and the Deep water is only a couple of boatlengths wide. I considered turning and motoring against the tide while being slowly pushed backwards for more control but the tide had me out the other side before I could do it.

• Like 1

Anyone smarter than me or with a subscription to a decent weather predictor care to make a call on the boxing day weather?

Hoping to singlehanded mission the 1020 up to B.O.I.

From as far out as I can look it appears a large high may be approaching meaning some south in the breeze but we are talking 11 days out! 🤣

Booboo, we have had Nonstop in Houhora. Anchored just past the wharf. Heaps of room and depth. The big bay outside under Mt Camel was awesome too. We are heading north too, and aiming for the top if settled. Looks like Cavallis for Xmas. Might catch up? On the Lagoon 40 bicycle this time around. Find us on AIS - Muskoka.

Houhora is great. Safe access and sheltered. Yes plenty of current but nothing to really worry you. Two shallower spots where the channel makes a hard turn but again not too bad. Had HL in there and also took Freedom  (Salthouse 57) in during the middle of the night with no issues. Channel feels very narrow on the Freedom! 

If you go to the top the anchoring choices are North Cape Cove, Tom Bowling Bay or Spirits Bay depending on wind.... but if going that far it's rude not to go to the Kings too!

4 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

Anyone smarter than me or with a subscription to a decent weather predictor care to make a call on the boxing day weather?

Hoping to singlehanded mission the 1020 up to B.O.I.

From as far out as I can look it appears a large high may be approaching meaning some south in the breeze but we are talking 11 days out! 🤣

Its going to be mint!

were getting the bad weather now

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

Booboo, we have had Nonstop in Houhora. Anchored just past the wharf. Heaps of room and depth. The big bay outside under Mt Camel was awesome too. We are heading north too, and aiming for the top if settled. Looks like Cavallis for Xmas. Might catch up? On the Lagoon 40 bicycle this time around. Find us on AIS - Muskoka.

Hey Pete, would be great to see you guys. Hoping to get up there by Christmas day but will see how the weather looks as we dont knock off until the 23rd. 

Rogue II looks s little different now but if you see us then come over. 

20211210_172525.jpg