Xmas cruise

Sorry to hijack this post. One of my crew members pulled out. If you know anyone interested in sailing to Great Barrier or Merc, let me know. Just a deck hand needed. Happy to teach you if you are learning. Can take 1 or 2 more people.  Boat is 35ft Stewart34. I have been sailing for 8 years now, mostly around Nelson/ tasman and now Auckland. Been in Auckland for 2 years now. We will be sailing from Bayswater, Auckland. Setting off any time from 26th (weather dependent) and hoping to be back around 3rd (no later than 4th Jan). Flick me a message and I will tell you more about my boat, crew etc. Thanks 

Was thinking that too 

Wonder if you could make one out of pvc pressure pipe ? The cost of the fittings would make it more expensive that stainless or Ali 

• Haha 1

LOL you are actually pretty close, I did buy it from bunnings....

Its the alloy box section with the joining pieces, actually pretty strong but needed a bit of diagonal support. Should do the job Ok and was pretty cheap but I will look at upgrading it for next summer.

Sorry for the thread drift, lets get back to everyones summer holiday plans!

Rogue Solar.jpg

Heading north tomorrow, got 6 weeks to have a mosy around up there, hoping to get right up the top if Huey allows us.

Out little boat is Te Kouma, got 10 & 11 boys on board if anyone has kids who needs some kid company...

On 16/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, chariot said:

A couple of nice Cav 30's on trademe today. Can just see you in 1 of them harrytom. Back to summer cruising.

Would be nice but will job seeking soon,13 yrs and had enough of dealing with snot nose 17yr olds who are mangers with no skills  Wasnt an easy decision but need to happen.

1 hour ago, Ohana said:

On a Christmas cruising note, has anyone anchored a (shoal draft) yacht in Tairua/Pauanui? 

Timing of tide, swell size and direction plus advise from harbour master.

Watch some YouTube videos of bar crossing in AU to give you the idea.

I remember coming into Tairua once on our family's Moonraker 23 trailer sailer, we had holidayed there for years in a caravan and had a 16ft Pelin Aquarius fizz boat, heaps of bar crossings with no issues (if not a bit sketchy for an overthinking kid).

But the old man had decided Waterborne holidays were the next thing. 

I'll never forget it... outgoing tide, heaping up breakers hovering over the transom while the long shaft 8hp motor struggled to move us over ground, survived half a dozen dumpers in the cockpit (fortunately shutters in) before dad decided maybe we should extricate ourselves from the situation, he threw the tiller to port and by this time we were so close to the Rocks on the Motu to the right a guy who was fishing off the rocks fended us off NZ by lifting his rod up and pushing our pulpit away from his face 😀 

Still alive 

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, Jon said:

Timing of tide, swell size and direction plus advise from harbour master.

Watch some YouTube videos of bar crossing in AU to give you the idea.

Thanks, Jon. Was only planning on having a shot at it in calm offshore conditions at or near high tide. Certainly not interested in any breaking wave heroics:) There are plenty of large gin palaces living at Tairua and Pauanui which go in and out regularly, so I was more thinking of anchoring spots once inside, assuming there is a good weather/tide/swell window. We draw 1.4m.

On 18/12/2021 at 1:03 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

fearsome bar there.  i've watched reasonable launches struggle, and there have been any number of failed crossings.

Have surfed there a number of times and had a number of bowel failures . But having said that it’s an easier bar than the manukau on a calm day .

the long caravan of boats going north is increasing by the day up here . Very noticeable absence of Rivs , Tomos , upfolds  , Oliver’s, Vikings , cheesecraft and salt house 50s  burning up the coast and the atmosphere . Heaps of yachts though , bless them 

• Upvote 1