Xmas Cruise (C)rush?

2 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Around in Huruhi - there was a bit of a shift to SW for a while but then went back to NW. Are you getting much of a role in there?

Nope... It died last night around 12pm.

Really pleasent here light breeze nw... Water flat 

2 minutes ago, chariot said:

Sounds like Bon Accord is very full. 

Nope, I'm here now, about 1/4 full maybe. Everyone is tucked up along the south side though. Been a little surprised how quiet over the last few days. Max what I would call half full. Full being NY eve rammed full (as in you have to struggle to find space to park up harbour of the yacht club.

Left Barrier yesterday (it has emptied out to quite quiet)

Arrived Bottom End mid arvo, ManOwar was full but everything else was like a weekend outside holidays 

9 hours ago, B00B00 said:

ETA kawau at about 5am tomorrow morning. Is bon accord ok in the SW right now? We are just past Tutukaka on our way south.

I was wondering who the keen. bugger was heading south last night just on dark 

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Been thinking about a nice burger and fries for a couple of days now. So this afternoon we cruised into Bon Accord, but no. Kitchen closes at 7pm. Be warned. 

They are struggling with lack of staff, currently family are helping out.

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Been thinking about a nice burger and fries for a couple of days now. So this afternoon we cruised into Bon Accord, but no. Kitchen closes at 7pm. Be warned. 

Think I must have seen you turn around at the cone barrier disappointed.  I got in from Barrier with 30mins to spare to drop the hook and get a steak! 

BOI wasn't super packed. Headed up boxing day. Only a couple of windy(ish) nights. Snorkeling at Deep Water Cove was a highlight. 

Currently motoring solo off Whangaruru straight into Southerly... waiting for the Easterly which I can see approaching. Might get a bit breezy!

20220103_144901.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

BOI wasn't super packed. Headed up boxing day. Only a couple of windy(ish) nights. Snorkeling at Deep Water Cove was a highlight. 

Currently motoring solo off Whangaruru straight into Southerly... waiting for the Easterly which I can see approaching. Might get a bit breezy!

20220103_144901.jpg

Stunning photo ! 

rainband and easterly is just hitting Whangarei heads/Tutukaka now …not a lot of breeze in it though , maybe 10 knots 

BP advised that the fishing was good in Hooks so after slowly heading out into the Gulf from the islands of Coro the sea breeze came in last Tuesday and we tacked back to lay Hooks , broke my record line in water 30 seconds and we had dinner very efficient and all whilst still under sail!

• Upvote 1

I was at Moturekareka Island for a short time (and should have stayed longer) just before NY eve and it looked like Pysche and crew/family had a top spot. Are you allowed to camp on the island or was that just a daytime set up. We have 7 on board including 3 young ones and left to go to Bon Accord which was windy and wavy, ended up near Algies Bay (Goldsworthy - which was cold, windy but less crowded) for the night. I was advised that Moturekareka is only a day stop usually but that is if it goes a bit west I suppose. 

20211230_125438.jpg

4 minutes ago, ballystick said:

Moturekareka Island

Depending on size/draft can go inside of "rewa" The bay,not the wreck.we moored via bow with chain and ran stern anchor out,5 yrs ago at xmas,had a nice 2nights in there.Keep close to stern of "rewa" and dont try exiting via bow .Nice walk ashore up and around where "snow" had his huts.Winter and summer venues. Luckily got to meet him early 70s. Went ashore a boy of 12yr old.First encounter."whats your name" told him.Andys boy?? knew my grandfather and told a tale or 2 of Grandad that old man kept from us.