Trouble cleating on Tasman 20 due to high winches!

Hi, 

I'm having trouble cleating of the gib lines while sailing in moderate winds on my Tasman 20. The cleat is level with the winch, so when the winch has a few winds in it, it is hard to pull the line down into the cleat. It happens on both sides. I have both winches set up to take the line clockwise - I could change this, but it is still hard to cleat.

See pictures - ignore the arrow on one. 

Any thoughts on what to do here? raise the cleats? (might be wobbly) lower the winches? (might be hard to access..)

winchv location.jpg

1855631446_BlackLabelStern.thumb.jpg.a8261f99417bdecad00de60c6fdd66e8.jpg

The random bits on the top of the winch are designed to cleat the rope off to. You can still winch it in when cleated, you just get more turns on the winch. The cam cleats may be faster and easier. but if you are having trouble with them, lock the sheet off on the winch top.

5 hours ago, Fish said:

The random bits on the top of the winch are designed to cleat the rope off to. You can still winch it in when cleated, you just get more turns on the winch. The cam cleats may be faster and easier. but if you are having trouble with them, lock the sheet off on the winch top.

Very hard to use the winch cleats while the sheet is under strain and I’m on the other side of the boat

2 hours ago, chariot said:

No need for the cleats. Use the top of the winch drum, that's what it's designed for.

Yea, and it works, but not adjustable while sailing and hard to use while the sheet is tight, the boat heeling and I’m on the opposite side of the cockpit

5 hours ago, eruptn said:

A new bracket under the winch cold see it lowered so the bottom of the which drum was at cleat height. 

Yea, though wouldn’t be able to get the winch arm in. Thinking about raising the cleats up somehow

What Harrytom says👍

Years ago when I had my trailer sailor I read a good book on sailing single handed. So I set my sheets up as per what the book said: the leeward winch became a turning block, the winch on the windward side was the winch I used for the sheet. It meant I could adjust/release easily as I was sitting next to it.

You can also set the sheets up as 1 continuous sheet so that no matter what happens the sheet is always in reach. I did this too - made it really easy as the sheet(s) was always within reach.

The book was by Andrew Evans; Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Single Handed Sailing. It was downloadable as a PDF back then - you can probably still find it on line?

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Keylime said:

Very hard to use the winch cleats while the sheet is under strain and I’m on the other side of the boat

That is a different question.

If you are single handed and want to be able to control the jib sheet from the windward side (while driving), it is an idea to "cross sheet". As Terry says, use the leeward winch or a turning block to bring the loaded sheet to the windward winch. Then everything is in reach and it may be easier to cleat it off on the winch top.

I've never done this (I can sheet on with the tiller between my legs, and I have big overlappers, so set the headsail and trim the main for balance), but it is a common method in solo sailing. The book that covers all of this stuff is "Single Handed Sailing" by Andrew Evans, who sails 'Foolish Muse'. Andrew is available to chat to on Sailing Anarchy and uses the handle 'Foolish'. Look in the single handed section on Sailing Anarchy.

Singlehanded Sailing : Andrew Evans : 9780071836531 (bookdepository.com)

• Like 1

I agree with others that your boat is setup for the winch top to be the cleat. Its actually the same as ours.

We have a cleat and various other angle changes in the same area for spinnaker sheets and other things. I was confused on how to cleat off the headsail sheet with all that was there until I realised to use the winch itself.

Could the cleat be for a spinnaker sheet or something else like on ours?

Or maybe a cleat for when the winch isnt necessary, light wind, small sail etc. I do often do just that as well.

Though I'm still learning our boat.