What would you do?

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

I see absolutly no problem with a dog on leash at any beach,providing its to do it bussiness in a secluded part,below the high tide mark,rock pt etc.Ashore and back again.

Allowed to run off,there lies the problem.

Officially, just the presence of dogs (even on leashes) can scare and change the behavior of ground dwelling birds. Unofficially, if you are going straight for a poo and taking the dog away again, it is going to have substantially less impact on bird behaviour than letting it roam off leash, and / or from end to end of the beach.

But then, can't you train you dog to poo on the boat (noting I'm not a dog owner). Don't get me started on boat cats though. I don't understand that.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Abel Seaman said:

I used to be against compulsory boat registration and skipper licencing, but i am changing my views! I have the video of this encounter, and would share it with HM if the boat had ID. 

Agree 100%. It might reduce a few drownings too.

17 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

Agree 100%. It might reduce a few drownings too.

This summer has been particularly bad.  Here in the Marlborough Sounds, i've had two ocassions in two weeks where boats did not adhere to Port to port or even know green and red markers which meant I took evasive actions and then got the why did you do that look.  Lots of shiny new Stabi's with no clue out on the water.  The bay we live in has a strict 5 knot limit which is broken each and every day by jet skis and boats, harboar master useless, education = mixed results.  The problem is we live waterfront which means we could be a target so I'm inclined not to take any action and live with the problem.  

Followed a 60 foot well known Auckland Riv stink pot owned by a prominent lawyer out of Picton last week that decided emptying it's holding tanks just out of picton was a good idea, dusgusting. sh*t all over the water complete with paper yuck.  I reported and photographed that one.  

The growing number of dick heads on the water and increased media coverage of drownings are going to mean more legislation for all of us responsible water users. The take away for me this Summer is that Money does not equal common sense.  Stop sending cashed up Aucklanders down here to spoil paridise! :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
33 minutes ago, southernman said:

Followed a 60 foot well known Auckland Riv stink pot owned by a prominent lawyer out of Picton last week that decided emptying it's holding tanks just out of picton was a good idea, dusgusting. sh*t all over the water complete with paper yuck.  I reported and photographed that one.  

sh*t that’s unbelievable and believable . What are the discharge regs in the sounds ? You should post the picture here too 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

Thread drift. Talking about human stupidity. I taught a refugee friend to drive and discovered that the Number One Cause of Failing Driving Exams in Aoteaora is failing to stop at a stop sign. How stupid is that?

Kind of makes sense in respect to  teenage drivers …have you ever had success telling a teenager to stop doing something 

2 hours ago, southernman said:

Stop sending cashed up Aucklanders down here to spoil paridise! :-)

How else do you suppose we get rid of them? the virus hasn't worked... was hoping that would knock a few off (although admittedly the jab isn't too bad at that, mycarditus fits so nicely with that demographic)

Some of us in Auckland aren't cashed up, and are keen to get rid of the twats so we can enjoy our environment in peace. I just think its the South Island's turn to deal with them. We've been locked up with them since August.. and the ones that we did try getting rid back then of caused all sorts of problems.

Fair's fair now ;-)

• Haha 2

Same as everywhere I believe but personally you leave a marina with a pump out facility and then proceed to dump your sh*t well, it’s just sh*t.  

Anyhow as an ex Aucklander I can’t moan too much.  

lovely day down here now crowded anchorages and plenty of sunlight.  

I'm sick of all the dog owners taking dogs onto Great Mercury Island when it is well sign posted that dogs are not permitted. 

Went ashore on Sunday, only about five boats there and it was like a bloody dog pound, even had a boxer try and get into our dingy before we got out.

I notice they don't have the balls to take their dogs ashore at Parapara bay or White Beach in full view of the Island staff. 

Would hate trespass signs go up on all the beaches just because of all dog owners thinking they are special. A little respect for the  island owners request would not go amiss.

• Upvote 3
21 hours ago, chariot said:

I notice they don't have the balls to take their dogs ashore at Parapara bay or White Beach in full view of the Island staff. 

Yeah they do. We were in Parapara Bay Saturday night and there were two dogs being ferried ashore regularly to crap. One yapped for 45 minutes early Sunday morning before the owners in a Genesis (rafted up to a Wavecrusher, both Whitianga boats) took it ashore. I've a good mind to get some dog sh*t and flick it in their cockpits next time I walk past.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
On 1/02/2022 at 12:28 PM, Deep Purple said:

Yeah they do. We were in Parapara Bay Saturday night and there were two dogs being ferried ashore regularly to crap. One yapped for 45 minutes early Sunday morning before the owners in a Genesis (rafted up to a Wavecrusher, both Whitianga boats) took it ashore. I've a good mind to get some dog sh*t and flick it in their cockpits next time I walk past.

What’s the currents dog status at whiti marina ? 

Had a creworgers yapper jump ship while they were quaffing man o war by the box in opua marina  .  We were having dinner and it raced down the dock and dropped a nugget right at our transom . I found it funny but a few others were gagging on their food . Mum eventually retrieved the dog and smeared the nugget across the concrete trying to pick it up ….god I miss bayweek ! 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

What’s the currents dog status at whiti marina ? 

Part of the marina is a public walkway so there are lots of dogs passing through as well as a few on boats. I haven't had an issue here but when we kept Sundreamer on X-pier Westhaven there was always dog-sh*t along the path. I could never figure out who's dog otherwise I would have thrown it in their cockpit for sure.

• Like 1

New Zealand doesn't have the resources in place for enforcing compliance, the Waikato Harbour master must be dreaming if his small team could be out enforcing licensing as well. NSW has 16 maritime boats on Sydney Harbour alone!

Auckland harbour master is lucky to have one boat on the water on a Sunday

• Upvote 1

I saw the 7Sharp piece.  To be fair, the Neville Nobody yapping about how everyone should have to have a licence to take a boat out on the water, did mention he was talking about motor boats.

But, despite my disdain for some stinkpotter "captains" I feel licensing is a huge mistake, a bureaucratic nightmare, and will eventually sliver its way to the sailing community too.... and, it is just the filthy few of the stinkpot crowd that give them a bad name.  And to be fair, some sailors are knobheads too, me included - ive done some dumb things on the water, and later reminisced and gave myself an uppercut.