storing paper charts on board - whats your method?

6 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

I would be interested to see any examples of this?

I thought Navionics used the same dataset as the printed charts. 

Maybe nephews set up,basic subscription ,but found when zooming in didnt really show up reefone on the left navionics Hooks bay,when looking at shoreline. Individual preference I guess,.   

image.png

On 12/01/2022 at 7:10 PM, Winter said:

What are you going to do when the sky falls down? The average boat these days has 4 cell phones (nearly all of which are waterproof), a chart plotter or two, separate house and start banks so two power supplies, three if you count the solar..  I think there is enough redundancy in that.. I have spare fuses, chargers, a cell phone power bank as a backup.  Work laptop is on board (incase of a snap lockdown)  which has opencpn.. 

Perhaps years ago when there was only GPS, no Galileo or GLONASS etc. The yanks have removed selective availability as a feature set from their birds, and modern recievers are multi GNSS capable 

The electronic toys are not going to pack up...

Maybe google Carrington event? Only 160 years ago and only recognised at all because there were primitive electrical systems. Similar events prior to that would not have been noticed necessarily.

Another Carrington event now could/would wipe out all satellites and most computer systems. You would need the paper charts to get home to find out that your bank now had no record of your wealth as they stopped keeping paper records years ago... 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Abel Seaman said:

You would need the paper charts to get home to find out that your bank now had no record of your wealth as they stopped keeping paper records years ago... 

You mean my mortgage would disappear?  How do we make this happen? 

• Haha 3

Has anyone ever heard of pilotage? You know, when you look out the window, look at the colour of the water, the depth, location of the land and understand your geographical position with it?

You don't need a chart for any of that. Not in an emergency.

Name a passage in the Huaraki Gulf or Norhtland Coast you couldn't complete without a chart? We don't have tidal rips, there are no currents setting east or west like the English Channel. We don't have tides like Brittany.

The one tidal gate in NZ is at D'Urville Island, long way from the Gulf.

Any passage the in the gulf can be completed with pilotage. i.e. look where you want to go, and go there. Getting to Barrier? you can see it the whole way. At best a compass course. Going to BoI? Keep the land on your left. Coming home from BoI? keep the land on your right...

All I use my chart plotter for is telling me how fast I'm going, and my time of arrival, mainly so I can plan when to have dinner, and keep the kids entertained with the 'are we there yet? questions.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
19 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

this.

So did charts help, or give a false sense of security in that one?

Pilotage (i.e. looking at the surrounding land) of that area would tell you it is a rock strewn coast, unpredictable changes in depth, and best to stand well off.

Chart possibly indicates it is clear inside the 5m contour, when in actual fact, its a jumble of rocks. Some deep, some not so deep.

• Upvote 1

PS, just to blow my own counter arguement, I have paper charts onboard. I always fold them into 8ths and keep them in a canvas zip close folder. My main reason for carrying them is so I can spread them on the saloon table and show the kids where we are going. Also have several at home for the same purpose. But to be honest, I actually used the chart plotter to show them each day's passage.

I've done Blind Navigation exercises in the UK as part of my RYA Yachtmaster training. It teaches a different way of thinking and answering questions other than relying on the common modern conveniences. 

I also have a fixed VHF, 2 hh VHF's, 2 PLB's and a full suite of in-date flares onboard. On the occasions I've needed assistance, I've always used the cell phone. Far better voice quality, easier to hear, easier to answer CG's 20 questions on if you are wearing an LJ, and the whole Gulf doesn't need to know I've screwed up ;-)

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Psyche said:

"The chart says you cannot pass through there"

"Here, hold my rum"

Don Jamison

Not sure if Don Jamison is the most compelling argument for anything. Esp cluttering up your boat with sh*t you don't use. Possibly better if people drank less rum and looked where they were going...

I found some emergency nav lights the other day, complete with an un-opened set of D size batteries. Buggered if I know how old the batteries are. Really keen to know if they still work. D batteries aren't cheap either.

4 hours ago, Fish said:

Name a passage in the Huaraki Gulf or Norhtland Coast you couldn't complete without a chart?

I encountered really thick fog 18 months back. Even leaving Islington Bay required a chart (to navigate by depth contours) or GPS. It was a surreal experience, and the only time I've broken out the fog horn in 15 years.

Otherwise, exploring places that are less familiar: isolated beaches, places to fish or snorkel, estuaries and rivers - such as heading up to Warkworth.

8 minutes ago, DoT said:

I encountered really thick fog 18 months back. Even leaving Islington Bay required a chart (to navigate by depth contours) or GPS. It was a surreal experience, and the only time I've broken out the fog horn in 15 years.

Otherwise, exploring places that are less familiar: isolated beaches, places to fish or snorkel, estuaries and rivers - such as heading up to Warkworth.

Had you ran out of rum? 

i.e. was there a compelling reason to try and navigate through the fog, rather than just sit tight and wait for it to clear? We don't get sea fog in NZ, so in normally clears by mid morning. Not like the UK, where you might actually need to sail in a fog.

I get there are all sorts of compelling reasons for and against, it would probably make a great pub challenge.  However, question asked and answered.  Fold, store in a kind of waterproof bag, stick under a squab for those days you are bored, need to demo or practise your skills, the electronics die, or you need to light a fire.

Cheers everyone!

Best storage I’ve seen for paper charts was on a wooden yacht with deck beams with two bunny cords fixed so charts stowed rolled up under cabin top 

Says he who sailed fro Turkey to NZ via Panama without any paper charts.

10 hours ago, Fish said:

Has anyone ever heard of pilotage? You know, when you look out the window, look at the colour of the water, the depth, location of the land and understand your geographical position with it?

You don't need a chart for any of that. Not in an emergency.

Name a passage in the Huaraki Gulf or Norhtland Coast you couldn't complete without a chart? We don't have tidal rips, there are no currents setting east or west like the English Channel. We don't have tides like Brittany.

The one tidal gate in NZ is at D'Urville Island, long way from the Gulf.

Any passage the in the gulf can be completed with pilotage. i.e. look where you want to go, and go there. Getting to Barrier? you can see it the whole way. At best a compass course. Going to BoI? Keep the land on your left. Coming home from BoI? keep the land on your right...

All I use my chart plotter for is telling me how fast I'm going, and my time of arrival, mainly so I can plan when to have dinner, and keep the kids entertained with the 'are we there yet? questions.

I'm curious, is there a course available that teaches pilotage as you refer to it?