storing paper charts on board - whats your method?

11 hours ago, Dave said:

I'm curious, is there a course available that teaches pilotage as you refer to it?

Yes, RYA courses by several organisations, coastguard, Auckland sailing school, etc. theory and practical.

• Upvote 2
On 12/01/2022 at 7:10 PM, Winter said:

What are you going to do when the sky falls down? The average boat these days has 4 cell phones (nearly all of which are waterproof), a chart plotter or two, separate house and start banks so two power supplies, three if you count the solar..  I think there is enough redundancy in that.. I have spare fuses, chargers, a cell phone power bank as a backup.  Work laptop is on board (incase of a snap lockdown)  which has opencpn.. 

Perhaps years ago when there was only GPS, no Galileo or GLONASS etc. The yanks have removed selective availability as a feature set from their birds, and modern recievers are multi GNSS capable 

The electronic toys are not going to pack up...

He says...

NO JINXES!!!!!
:)

Some old charts I have are like thin cardboard, the new ones are like thick tissue paper.

I have a roll of thin plastic tube for rolled charts. Lets know if anyone wants some, any length  more or less, 20 metres no trouble. 

My paper charts are stored flat in a plastic wallet with zipper (bought from  Boat Books) and kept under one of the berth squabs. Useful for passage planning and a backup in case electrical systems fail. An old handheld Garmin GPS also provides backup (lat / long coordinates only) if I am out of cellphone range.

39 minutes ago, Sail Rock said:

An old handheld Garmin GPS also provides backup (lat / long coordinates only) if I am out of cellphone range.

Mobile phones don't need to be within cellphone range to give you your lat and long

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, Sail Rock said:

An old handheld Garmin GPS also provides backup (lat / long coordinates only) if I am out of cellphone range.

Does your old Garmin still work properly?

Mine now does an 'autolocate' every time I turn it on, which takes around 10 minutes. Very annoying!

4 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Does your old Garmin still work properly?

Mine now does an 'autolocate' every time I turn it on, which takes around 10 minutes. Very annoying!

They have an internal battery to remember where they last were. Sounds like it’s flat. Some are easy to replace, some not. Open it and have a look…

• Like 1