One of the greatest Crew team passed away.

I didn't know rigger but through his interesting post and maritime career I grew to appreciate a fine person with great knowledge.

Its a pity a few of the older stalwarts here, who had some great conversations with rigger, have not kept up with the news on rigger and made their condolences.

• Upvote 3

There was a thread about his passing in the small talk forum.

It would of been zapped when the whole forum was zapped. 

Good to have another thread started.

I enjoyed reading his posts. Seemed very knowledgeable and experienced. 

I never met him personally but I communicated with him multiple times. Rigger was a keen supporter of the Akld-Tga race, although he was suffering from an illness he volunteered to help dock the incoming boats tirelessly when the races were completed. He was always keen to help unselfishly and kept an eye on us when out on the harbour during mid-week racing.

Fair winds and safe anchorages - sail on!

v sad - his comments were always worth reading - you could see that he was frustrated since the start of Covid that healthcare for non covid issues was adversely affected

Sad indeed. A great source of knowlege and always happy to share it. 

Anyone able to share a picture of him, I want to put a face to the name as I have likely met him but cant be sure. 

We had met a couple of times. But we kept in touch by phone regularly. I remember when he first became ill and we talked about it. I told him that medicine has come along way and Lukemia was no longer the death sentance it once was. He had treatment and was in remission. Then he got Parkinsons. But it didn't stop him from continuing his job.
We would talk via phone every now and then over the years. He often sent me pictures of some of the huge Vessels he Piloted in and out of Tauranga. One particular huge vessel, I had said that must be scary to navigate around the place. But he replied that actually, he bigger they are, the easier they are. Everything happens slower. I could relate to that with my 22tonne beast in relation to the light plastic fantastics.
Then I lost my phone and replaced it with a newer smart phone. I have one problem with it. Even with the callers information saved, when a caller phones me, o ly the number comes up. I have to remember ones phone numbers to know who is calling. Troy had called me and I did not think anything of the call, because I had not recognised his number. Over the last year, I had often thought, "haven't heard from Troy, must call him" and of course life distracts us and I would forget till I would think of it again. The KM (who also knew Troy well) txt me to tell me the sad news. It was between Xmas and Years he txt me. And I was deeply saddened, as I had not realised he had been ill again. Then a few days while thinking about him, it struck me. I went back through my log and sure enough, the number had been from Troy, a year earlier. I was devistaded. I felt like I freally let him down. He probably wanted to share info on his new diagnosis maybe. I don't now. But it really hit me.

I have to say, I probably need to offer an appology to the owner of here, because I had thought the worst. I asked KM if I should post the news here and he said he had let the owner know. But I had seen nothing. I did not know that a post had indeed be made and I know see a comment about it being lost with the removal of the particular forum. I had thought that no post was a bit rude. So sorry for the 2 + 2 = 6 thought.

Will miss you Troy. You were one of the great guys in our World and in my life.

Never met him but always took the time to read anything he posted and was never disappointed.

Achieved more in his limited years than most - condolences to his family who should be very proud.