Ross 830 - Sail plan, sizes, alternatives.

I have been looking in to the Raymarine Lighthouse 3 GOS plotters and if you have your boats polar map (wind speed, direction to boat speed etc) it will do best corse, best lay lines etc.

I presume getting this information on a locally designed boat made over 40 years ago is highly unlikely but it did get me to thinking, What about the sails sizes it was designed for?

I get that most sailing is done by seat of pants and insinct at the club/cruisor level but I wonder if there isn't any, more techincal recorded information on these or the 930?

For example, How big is the original self tacking headsail?

What is the normal No 1, 2 and 3 headsail size etc?

Is there recomended wind speeds/ranges for these sails?

Is there a wind speed range for reef 1, reef 2 etc? 

and lots of othe tech questions, I dont yet know enough about to ask! :)

There must be some published or known technical specs for these boats around somewhere still, I would have thought.

Does anyone know where I could get or talk to someone who might have recrded sail plans, boat speeds etc to work with?

To think back to the source, Is Murray Ross still around to perhaps provide any original design info from? (though I guess he's likely well beyond answering questions about he designed 40 years ago).

I'd also like to know why the 830, what was the idea behind a 1 metre shorter 930, cost? class suitability? Was there any benefit to the shorter design, any specific loss?

If you apply for an ORC handicap certificate, it comes with a set of polars tailored for your boat. Based on a library of boat characteristics used to develop the handicap ratings. There is no ORC racing in NZ, but it is not a bad way to get a set of polars. Not super accurate like designers polars on a new build race boat, but probably as good as you can get for a 40 yr old boat. Cost was ok about 10 years ago when I did it. Maybe $130 nz. 

You apply to some organization in the UK.

5 hours ago, Fish said:

If you apply for an ORC handicap certificate, it comes with a set of polars tailored for your boat. Based on a library of boat characteristics used to develop the handicap ratings. There is no ORC racing in NZ, but it is not a bad way to get a set of polars. Not super accurate like designers polars on a new build race boat, but probably as good as you can get for a 40 yr old boat. Cost was ok about 10 years ago when I did it. Maybe $130 nz. 

You apply to some organization in the UK.

Fantastic, thank you for the suggestion!

I'll look in to it.