What handheld VHF are you using?

In the market for a handheld for backup and the Yellow Bag of Panic.

For me, criteria include selectable power output up to 5w, rechargable from a 12v supply, ease of operation (big buttons, big screen), bright body colour.  Float and waterproof obviously.

What are your criteria, and what are you using?

I'm curious, I've got 3 VHF's and 3 PLB's, but are you going to be sailing out of cell phone range?

Channel 16 is so full of fluff now I didn't turn my VHF on on the last 7 day cruise.

We can spend a pile of $$$ and really clutter out boats up with things that are a good idea, but never actually get used.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Uniden budget yellow job that does all of the above , I think ? 

critereia is it meets Cat3 and we use it for listening to race comms during starts . Range is woeful though we couldn’t raise a boat in a recent race that was only 5 miles away on 5W setting  …wouldn’t recommend it in an emergency situation unless it’s for close range .

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Fish said:

We can spend a pile of $$$ and really clutter out boats up with things that are a good idea, but never actually get used.

I agree fish.  But it's one of those things that is relatively cheap and should be in the grab bag.  We don't use VHF much - TR, Weather channel is about it.  But if I need to make THAT call, I want the gear to do it with.

2 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I agree fish.  But it's one of those things that is relatively cheap and should be in the grab bag.  We don't use VHF much - TR, Weather channel is about it.  But if I need to make THAT call, I want the gear to do it with.

Make the call from the main vessel,then grab your bag and wait till someone is in sight,then fire off a flare. 

Had uniden,suppose to be water proof,Biggest waste of money,not even shower proof.

• Like 1