Yacht on the rocks at Matiatia (Waiheke)

There is a bit more to the story .... that article skims over the details.   They knew a front was coming and bought it into Matiatia to anchor - a 70 " ketch amongst the moorings - anchored it (or had it anchored by someone according to the article) then went ashore and slept with friends that night leaving the boat unattended. First they knew it had dragged was the next morning when someone posted a picture on the Community FB page and they saw it. To my way of thinking not a great place to anchor a boat that size when there is limited space plus leave it unattended knowing there was a front coming.

Meantime the locals on Waiheke have helped them strip the boat of most things of any value but they dont seem to have a plan to deal with the wreck despite being offered help which they didnt accept. The whole thing is starting to drag on and it will become an environmental issue if it isnt dealt with soon. Unfortunately it was uninsured so they probably dont have the resources to salvage it I am guessing

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, khayyam said:

Yeah I saw those stories. But looks like someone else is perhaps living on it out there?

He has mates/crew living on it. There is usually a tender tied up to it. It anchored up in Issy just before he went to prison. Prior to that it spent months anchored off Karaka at the mouth of the Tamaki river. It was a pain as in certain winds it used to obscure the Barber's Pole.

I get tempted to ring DoC and say I saw a rat jump off it and swim to Motutapu.

Actually, that is not a silly thought- there are bound to be rats on a boat of that size. At least DOC should take one of their rat-sensing dogs aboard. An experiment with a monitored rat on the Noises a few years ago demonstrated that they swam between islands, and it is only a very short distance to the shore.

Especially important with all the regeneration of native bird projects on Motutapu at the moment.

Coming into Izzy Bay after dark recently, I nearly ran into the Southern Progress. It has 3 dim lights at various heights and location visible from astern, no proper anchor light. Slightly confusing as I thought I was looking at 3 different size yachts further up the bay.

17 hours ago, kiwi_jon said:

He has mates/crew living on it. There is usually a tender tied up to it. It anchored up in Issy just before he went to prison. Prior to that it spent months anchored off Karaka at the mouth of the Tamaki river. It was a pain as in certain winds it used to obscure the Barber's Pole.

I get tempted to ring DoC and say I saw a rat jump off it and swim to Motutapu.

I guess Izzy is where they went after getting moved on from Karaka? Seems like it must be on the wrong side of the harbourmaster's rules about permanent anchoring.

1 hour ago, khayyam said:

Seems like it must be on the wrong side of the harbourmaster's rules about permanent anchoring.

It's outside the harbour limits.

Just like St Helliers which is semi-permanently Peter Blakes old Schooner Archangels anchorage. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

Do you have a chart of the Harbour Master's limits? I imagine some other authority could move them on outside the limits?

Sorry, after review of the latest law/maps, I am wrong.

The law states:

The  owner  or  person  in charge of  a  vessel  must  obtain prior approval of the Harbourmaster  to anchor  the vessel  overnight  in the  same  bay  or  within  one nautical mile  of  the  previous  overnight  anchorage  for  longer  than  14 days  in a 28 day  period

It applies to the entire Auckland region. 

• Upvote 1
On 24/01/2022 at 7:54 PM, CarpeDiem said:

Sorry, after review of the latest law/maps, I am wrong.

The law states:

The  owner  or  person  in charge of  a  vessel  must  obtain prior approval of the Harbourmaster  to anchor  the vessel  overnight  in the  same  bay  or  within  one nautical mile  of  the  previous  overnight  anchorage  for  longer  than  14 days  in a 28 day  period

It applies to the entire Auckland region. 

Wonder how Archangel gets away with it at St Heliers ?