Yacht on the rocks at Matiatia (Waiheke)

The irony will be that by the time the HM does pull the trigger and scrap it, everything of value will be gone and so they'll get nothing in return. Whereas if they'd done it ASAP there might still have been some value there. 

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up off the rocks as a playground.

13 hours ago, 1paulg said:

Unfortunately a sad end to this story - the boat broke up today  and the debris is either on the bottom or in Matiatia Bay beach

Who would have thought we could get a cyclone at this time of year ?

must be climate change or something 

This was always going to happen, they should have sent a barge out as soon as it grounded (harbour master that is)

there job is surely to look after the harbour ?

who pays, we all do, same with clearly abandoned boats on moorings. This isn’t a third world back water

4 hours ago, Jon said:

they should have sent a barge out as soon as it grounded (harbour master that is)

there job is surely to look after the harbour ?

Hi

The Council and Harbourmaster are empowered by the Maritime Transport Act 1994. Wreck issues are very clearly dealt with

"33JRemoval of wrecks by regional council

(1)

A regional council may take steps in accordance with this section to remove and deal with any wreck within its region that is a hazard to navigation."

Likely a bit of a stretch to say that wreck was a hazard to navigation when it is hard on the rocks in 1 metre of water and not likely to float off.

Not is states "Council" and not "Harbourmaster" i.e. it is a power of the elected officials. If you read the section of the Act the Harbourmaster has many powers but removal of wrecks is not one of those.

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Would have been a waste of money to tow it. It's gone now at zero cost.

The cost is in the clean up -debris scattered let alone a rig , keel and motor still to be recovered

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, waikiore said:

The keel if lead will be salvaged the rest.... I thought they were taking the rig off straight after New Year? Perhaps a bit too much like work.

Mizzen mast went - I believe to be someone's flagpole -main mast was still in place up until the blow

Just talked to someone who came in from the Barrier and they came across a 4x3 m section of the wreck out in the Gulf so be aware -there is debris floating around - keep an eye out -particularly launches travelling at speed.  They notified Coastguard and the Harbourmaster