Yacht on the rocks at Matiatia (Waiheke)

23 minutes ago, Y88 5241 said:

Wonder who actually owns it now? If the school took the boat, perhaps the clean up cost is now on them?

I really hope they weren't dumb enough to assume that liability. 

The vessels owners should be made to pay for the clean up. Carelessness led to this, and then they phaffed around leading to a bloody bigger mess which inconveniences and potentially endangers many.

Not good enough.

• Upvote 3

On reflection, I'm not altogether happy with my comments above, so in retrospect I withdraw any comment about the actions leading up the initial grounding.  Still think owners inaction following the fact leaves them open for a good kick in the arse and an invoice.

• Like 2
On 24/01/2022 at 7:54 PM, CarpeDiem said:

Sorry, after review of the latest law/maps, I am wrong.

The law states:

The  owner  or  person  in charge of  a  vessel  must  obtain prior approval of the Harbourmaster  to anchor  the vessel  overnight  in the  same  bay  or  within  one nautical mile  of  the  previous  overnight  anchorage  for  longer  than  14 days  in a 28 day  period

It applies to the entire Auckland region. 

3 hours ago, harrytom said:

When one looks at Harbour limits the one off ST Helliers is just the harbour boundary.

2 hours ago, khayyam said:

I thought we decided (several pages back) that those rules apply throughout the "Auckland region" and thus island bay, izzy bay and beyond? 

Yep - on page 1 of the thread as above - the by-law applies to the entire Auckland region, east and west coast.

• Upvote 1