Primus stoves

Hi,

Just want to share some thoughts.

I love restoration and repair and have just bought a 1976 Cav 32 that is original and unmolested.

The Marine Stainless primus had seen better days.

Rather than rip it out and install gas we rebuilt it.

Parts are available in NZ through,

caravancamping.co.nz

And great service from these UK firms:https://fettlebox.co.uk ,

www.tilleylampsandstove,

It's a simple task to strip clean and reassemble.

Coming to grips with operation is simple and we have mastered the world's best risotto whilst at anchor.

Hope this inspires a few to old tech!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Just want to share some thoughts.

I love restoration and repair and have just bought a 1976 Cav 32 that is original and unmolested.

The Marine Stainless primus had seen better days.

Rather than rip it out and install gas we rebuilt it.

Parts are available in NZ through,

caravancamping.co.nz

And great service from these UK firms:https://fettlebox.co.uk ,

www.tilleylampsandstove,

It's a simple task to strip clean and reassemble.

Coming to grips with operation is simple and we have mastered the world's best risotto whilst at anchor.

Hope this inspires a few to old tech!

20220112_135442.jpg

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, Psyche said:

Ive heard that AvGas is very clean burning if you can source it

AvGas has a significant amount of lead.  I would avoid burning it in a closed environment.

91 octane pump petrol is fine though - I've used this in a little primus unit before when I couldn't find the right stuff.

Does primus do an actual 'oven' with burners on top?

My Mariner Princess needs help but parts are scarce, someone who will work on it even scarcer, so i may have to change it. On top of the changes mooted for LPG supply it seems a forgone conclusion 

You can buy marine diesel stoves/ovens, expensive and require ducting for extraction. https://wallas.fi/products?_sft_product_categories=boat&_sft_product_types=stoves-and-ovens

The last marine liquid fuel cookers were the Origo 1500,3000 and 6000 the later being a stove/oven. They were bought out by Dometic and the line was discontinued.  The 1500 and 3000 were absolutely epic cooktops.

LPG phase out is targeted for 2050.  bioLPG will become a mainstream alternative within the next 10yrs and Hydrogen will become a game changer before 2050.

Most of us will have either swallowed the anchor or be compost by 2050 :) 

I had a 3000 for a while, good but a burning meths always smells a bit horrible. I even tried the highest alcohol content available from a chemical supplier but I think its the denaturing additive.

7 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Most of us will have either swallowed the anchor or be compost by 2050 :) 

I had a 3000 for a while, good but a burning meths always smells a bit horrible. I even tried the highest alcohol content available from a chemical supplier but I think its the denaturing additive.

Yeah that was my point... No need to worry about the new lpg supply restrictions :) if you want to replace your gas stove, go ahead, it will be someone else's problem one day... 

The cleanest would be lab grade Ethanol, (200 proof), you'd need a permit to buy it. No dye or bitrex just 100% ethyl alcohol.