Looking for recommendations for a 30 - 40 ft liveaboard keeler

As the good Doctor says, that 6 extra feet is huge.

It's not just 6 feet in length, there's (usually) a 2-3 feet extra in beam as well. And that 6 feet (as a mate of mine describes it) is all in the middle of the boat i.e. where you eat, sleep and dine.

I had a Whiting 29 and in the berth next to me was a mint Beale 33. I couldn't get over how much bigger it was internally. And yes, I know they're different designs etc.

On 1/02/2022 at 9:04 PM, Vin said:

This is what I am trying to figure out at the moment (hence asking wiser more experienced folks such as yourself). 
My definition of a liveabord is full-time cruising spending 90% of time at anchor in beautiful bays while working remotely from a laptop 4 days a week (4g reception around coastal NZ seems good enough to allow this). Of course we'd need to have a good solar power solution for 2 x laptops + fridge, and enough water storage to support a few weeks away from a marina.

Which in turn means that I need to look at slightly larger boats with slightly larger tanks and more space for solar panels and batteries. I'm beginning to think that 28 - 30 ft might be a little small, but as we go up in size the price goes up very rapidly. I think that I could find a nice sound H28 for $10k - $20k but a nice sound Stewart 34 (for example) is going to run $30k - $40k.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Go small and go now, or wait until we can get something bigger, more comfortable, that requires less maintenance, and spend the next year or two wishing we were on the water.

I was trying to hit the sweet spot in the middle with the likes of an H28, but I'm questioning myself now (which is a good thing, and the reason for making this thread!)

If you cant afford the step up from 20K to 30k or 40K then I would look hard at the affordability of the proposal because you will quickly burn through the difference in price  band on Opex

Decide on what your priorities are, standing headroom would be number one for me and unless you buy a launch you probably wont get that until your are getting into the 38 foot plus range.