Young 88

Just noticing a heap of 88’s for sale.

Has the class collapsed?

I have no idea about an 88 but I’m looking for a boat 28-35ft that’s fun to sail, easy short handed, low maintenance and capable of some bigger trips like Auckland to Marlborough sounds etc. 

Will do the SANZ and CC probably, maybe island racing at bay week. 

Would probably convert to A sails for ease, not into the hardcore class racing.

$35k looks good value for a fun boat. Any thoughts from the team? Any tips on what to check before taking to survey?

Also why the big price range? What are they actually selling for?

Class still going strong and plenty of them racing with the various clubs etc. Not sure why there's a number for sale at the moment other than that it seems to go in cycles.

Price difference seems to be along the lines of 

<35k Non class/poor condition 

35-50k In class, reasonable condition, but not the latest gear, not known for being super quick, maybe an original motor etc

50k+ in class and known to be a quick/class winning capable boat. Good sails/engine/electrics.

Of course there are some dreamers who are trying it on that haven't spent the money on their boat but have seen another one for sale for 60k so think they'll have a go at getting that for theirs.

There was also a bit of a wrangle in the class about mast placement in some of the fastest boats as Jon says above. Pay to check with someone from the class association if worried about that.

Other things to check - like all 80s boats they're getting on. If gelcoat is no longer good, or engine/electrics/refrigeration needs replacing then you need to factor in $ for this. Also when I was buying mine people suggested there were always readily available lightly used second hand sails from super competitive boats who replaced theirs every year or so, but what I found was when second hand sails came up they were tired and not good for anything but cruising. So if buying one without a decent wardrobe again factor $ for buying new ones if you want to do a bit of racing (even outside class).

Most have had the mast replaced, and your insurer may want proof of standing rigging replacement in last 10 years.

1 hour ago, waikiore said:

We have a few coming into the Milford creek , were all class boats but when they drop below $20,000 they are worth bulbing and still a good boat.

I heard this was happening. Doesn't seem like a particularly good sign for the health of the class.

I know nothing about the mast placement kerfuffle, other than to say that it sounds like exactly the sort of thing that can really put people off and hurt a class scene.

2 minutes ago, khayyam said:

I know nothing about the mast placement kerfuffle, other than to say that it sounds like exactly the sort of thing that can really put people off and hurt a class scene.

There was discussion here and other places maybe a couple of years back. Seems to have blown over now. Some of the quickest boats had too long a j measurement. I don't know what the outcome was but nationals and class events have been going ahead so assume it was sorted and people moved on.

If your not looking at doing class regattas 

buy the one that’s best setup that you can afford 

motors are the biggest thing then standing rigging, you will spend more doing a boat up than buying one that’s done 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jon said:

If your not looking at doing class regattas 

buy the one that’s best setup that you can afford 

motors are the biggest thing then standing rigging, you will spend more doing a boat up than buying one that’s done 

This

at the end of the day, everything else can be sourced or delayed but a stuffed engine will end fun and relationships with the boat and/or significant others

• Upvote 1
On 3/02/2022 at 10:35 PM, Tamaterau said:

Just noticing a heap of 88’s for sale.

Has the class collapsed?

If class has collapsed no one told any of the 100 Owners Association members or the owners of the 70 odd boats that show up on recent events on RaceTrack 😀

Jokes aside the class has been going strong for over 40 years driven by an active committee that started with the first boats.

The association does its best to maintain the integrity of the rules and keep the class boats compliant. Kiwi "ingenuity" sometimes makes this a challenge and sometimes "feathers are ruffled".

The strong Westhaven and Bucklands Beach fleets are more than matched by the recent growth of the class in Lyttleton and Akaroa.

271788034_3333465276777704_3144332875618

Covid willing the Harken Nationals in Auckland and North Sails Southern Champs in Akaroa should both see 16 competitive boats on the start line this month.

272980697_3430735863717311_7609783441417

88s are also very active in club racing and are ideal for mixed crews and short handed sailing. We have been getting upward of 15 boats in the SSANZ Two Handed Triple Series and no matter where you cruise you will always run into an 88 to share a rum with.

Per above the prices tend to accurately reflect the condition of the boat. As many people will tell you there is no such thing as a bargain but some of the fastest boats are also the oldest and one of the lowest priced boats in the last few years is well sailed and at the top of the fleet.

The Young 88 is not the newest, fastest or flashest thing out there but they are fast enough and still offer heaps of fun and great value for money.

I will leave the close of my "sales pitch" to Matt Steven and our late, great designer Jim Young on this 2019 video by Live Sail Die when Jim came out to watch the Nationals ....... "The best all purpose boat".

Feel free to get in touch with me or any of the committee for more info on boats or the class and please don't cut the keel off if you do buy one :).

Regards

Mike

Mike Leyland | m:+64 (21) 554 239 | d:+64 (9) 215 3479 | e: President@Young88.org.nz |w: www.Young88.org.nz

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
On 6/02/2022 at 9:21 PM, Priscilla II said:

$728.50 per month for a marina berth directly impacts on the value of Young 88 like most craft

Agree 100%. Although that price must be for one of Auckland most expensive marinas.

Access to safe, convenient and affordable berths has to be one of the key enablers for the survival of small/medium keelboat cruising and racing.

The marina is a key element for the 1000s of crew who get out on the water each week throughout the country in summer/winter. If we see continued inflation beyond CPI and berth size "creep" at least from our city masters then we might need a new thread. or to reinvigorate one that is on here already!

We pay $548 per month for fingerless berth at Westhaven. Reverse parking the open transom 88 makes this a perfect solution.

I think HMB berths are a similar price but all have fingers. I hear those outside berths at Orakei are also a reasonable if tight and a long walk.

Our boat is a three person partnership which also helps with cost management, maintenance, crew and utilisation. The 88 Association has a syndicate agreement template for members. PM me if you want more info on this option.

• Upvote 1