What is the status of a rahui?

There seems to be a lot of confusion and misplaced othering around rahui.  It's contentious but worth discussing imo. 

Fish's earlier thread implied that rahui were legally enforceable and had some sort of official standing.  They don't.  They are a symbolic prohibition.

In this respect they are similar to those "slow down, we love our children" signs you see on country roads where mummies drive European 4wds.  They are a nudge to improve behaviour.

They can act as a nudge to govt as well.  Effectively a rahui is an indicator of public opinion.  Not all public, but sufficient that the concern needs to be considered in official interactions.  In this respect rahui like the recent one in Hauraki tend to lead govt action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rāhui#:~:text=The imposing of rāhui by,culturally insensitive to do so.

• Upvote 1

Anything that raises awareness about the depletion of the marine environment and leads to a positive change in behaviour is a good thing. Call it what you want,  the term rahui can be emotive but education is the key to understanding its place in modern society. This year apart from not really being in the fishing mood, I found myself only taking just enough for the next meal. Usually I snorkel a few scallops at Kawau but the  shallow  beds were bare this year. Also went diving a few times around the rocks, no crays either but tbh the most enjoyable activity was feeding the reef fish a few kina and back at the marina giving our local Parore  a few potato chips- might have to get a fush tank at home :)  

• Upvote 1

Slight 'Fred Drift' - I have tremendous respect for Maori when it comes to their maritime history, (so consequently have no issue if they want to help protect the Hauraki Gulf if only in a symbolic manner).

Coming all the way from Tahiti in those outrigger canoes, navigating visually only via the stars, ocean currents, wave formation, bird life near land etc....absolutely awesome.  You can imagine the bashing those outrigger canoes / rafts would have taken when they hit the temperate / variable zones on the way to New Zealand from Tahiti...just awe inspiring maritime skill.

• Upvote 2

No problem with rahui to save scallops.But the MPI want to recc dredges fair enough but they don't intend to ban commercial.once again the reccs bare the brunt of doing it right.

• Upvote 1

Tend to agree but thats the way of the real world, business comes first. The quota system is not bad in principle but without anti trust rules the concentration of ownership ends up with a few big players who have then have political clout- export money, jobs etc so they can influence policy. I cant comment on recreational vs commercial take but i would be very surprised if commercial didnt outweigh recreational by vastly huge amounts. Recreational fishers are a bit hit and miss despite GPS whereas commercial fishers probably know where the last scallop live (or lived!)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Psyche said:

Tend to agree but thats the way of the real world, business comes first. The quota system is not bad in principle but without anti trust rules the concentration of ownership ends up with a few big players who have then have political clout- export money, jobs etc so they can influence policy. I cant comment on recreational vs commercial take but i would be very surprised if commercial didnt outweigh recreational by vastly huge amounts. Recreational fishers are a bit hit and miss despite GPS whereas commercial fishers probably know where the last scallop live (or lived!)

The Mother load was found west of Coromandel about 5yrs ago.Thought was it was the breeding stock for the gulf,wiped out in 2yrs not by you and I but Commercial dredges.Perhaps they need to start diving for them like the abalone divers in Aussie using air