Townson 36 in Sydney Hobart?

Don’t go getting ideas shimmer……you got enough on

thread drifting…..

Hey spotted you out a barrier over Xmas and was going to pop buy but by the time I got sorted you’d slipped away. Next time 👍 pretty keen to catch up on picking your thoughts on Cat1/2 safety - wanting to work towards doing a figure eight circle of NZ including Stewart island in the next few years. 

Hi yep that’s a pity we didn’t catch up at Barrier we were stern to the trees just inside the Man O War passage with a bunch of mates including another 3 Townson’s you would have been a welcome addition to the New Years party.

Figure 8 around the country sounds very cool and also something on my bucket list. Got Shimmer through Cat 3 this year so we can do the Northern Triangle race. Plan is this winter to get cat 2 then do the 2NI in 2023 if we can get an entry in (and still want to after the NTR). My Mrs is always keen for me to race the boat or do a boys trip somewhere new before we do family cruise. Yep we definitely need to raft up and swap stories

will you be doing the SSANZ racing again this winter?

Sure will be @ SANZ ! 

Need to find some more down wind sails to blow out though!

Ill keep an eye out for ya - randomly ran into the original owners  daughter over summer and learnt that the boat was originally built by her dad and the boat builder with offshore plans - they were nutters back then - so my dream of the figure eight is back on the table

Aorere sailed round NZ first, there is a book about it. Not sure that Nevenka finished the Sydney Hobart -but the Richmond guys will know. Dorette raced in the Noumea race when new with the Panmure boys surfing her under kite for all she was worth. Tony Kendall sailed Sunlight to the islands, not exactly something I would recommend in a Twilight . Some of the  previous boats were built with offshore in mind , Ray Beale also took his Starlight up to the islands.

Yea I know a few have done miles but from my understanding you'd want to find one that was built for it - Daydream is build pretty grunty - triple skin/Glassed, big keel floors and 100mm cntr stringers three windows etc so im pretty comfortable just what would be involved in inspections etc. 

I read that book! - that was the seed for my mate and I - a figure eight and invite friends etc for legs...… the book is awesome,, from memory they hanked on a storm jib at the top of the north island and it didn't come off - 60knt on the nose out of dusky sound etc - well worth the read it was an adventure. I think Aorere in in aus with Adam Beachel

back to OP, Nevenka did do it in 2005 (I think) but not sure that she finished. I heard they ran out of beer and withdrew, but that may just be malicious gossip. She has done a lotta miles on Peters watch, including RNI, countless SSANZ races, White Island to name a few.

Peter still owns her and she lives on N pier at WH I think. He's a good guy, loves a chat and knows Townsons backwards. Nevenka has been in the Mummery family since the first bit of Kauri was cut for her.

• Upvote 1

Although Peter Mummery was the owner, the boat was "chartered" by a young guy called Phil from Bucklands. I remember him giving away a crew spot at an UpTo26 prizegiving.

"Heading the Applications to Enter so far received by the CYCA is Alfa Romeo, Neville Crichton’s 30-metre super maxi which made its racing debut at Hamilton Island in August. The big boat is currently in New Zealand, from where the CYCA has received two other early nominations for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, Nevenka, a Townson 36 which is three years older than its 23-year-old skipper Phil Chisholm, and the well-performed Viva, a Beneteau 47.7 skippered by Peter Raudkivi."

Nevenka retired due to lack of wind according to this: https://rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2005/day-6/nevenka-out/  But could also have been due to disagreements between the owner and the skipper.

Akarana gave us 6th on corrected time, thats why I love race tracker so much we always do a bit better under his handicap. Was a good race though and managed to fight it out with ZT and the new sun fast which was pleasing in an old kauri family caravan.

last to finish, first on corrected what’s not to like?

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall that Aorere II was specifically built for that trip around NZ, strengthened in various areas. One funny thing was the spreaders weren't put exactly where DT wanted and the mast flexed.  They fixed that by adding an internal sleeve. 

I have the book somewhere,  must read it again.  Murray White?

Other offshore Townsons that spring to mind, the one that didn't come back 3 or 4 years ago and sank between Norfolk and Vanuatu. waisomething. And that yellow one with countless blue water miles, has a bulb and a scoop amongst other unauthorised modifications. (Insert smile face here)

Yeah I remember nevenka going over to do the s2h, mid 2000s as mentioned above would be about right. They were racing a lot with ryc and Vera mummery was club president iirc, but they also did a lot with Victoria. We raced our t32 there as well, and there was also sometimes a t34 town fox. Other regulars included the Tercels on their d35 Reotahi and an older lidgard called something like taitua. 

In addition to those mentioned above Wandering star (starlight based t32) has done a lot of miles including to Darwin and back. 

Tony Kendal (sunlight) is the one to talk to. Ran the owners association  for years, organized all the nationals etc. Probably knows more townson history than anyone.

Re Aorere II, the book is Around New Zealand in Aorere II by Frank Davis.

My first port of call would be Boat books in Westhaven to find it. She was sold to a well known Sydney yachting family , who knew what they were looking at.

Thanks! found it through hard to find books on its way now!

I have a had few good chats with Tony about his trip back from Fiji but I’m also really keen for a chat with the skipper of Nevenka about crossing the Tasman