Townson 36 in Sydney Hobart?

18 hours ago, Shimmer said:

Thanks! found it through hard to find books on its way now!

I have a had few good chats with Tony about his trip back from Fiji but I’m also really keen for a chat with the skipper of Nevenka about crossing the Tasman 

Take beer and time, and also beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 21/02/2022 at 9:24 AM, waikiore said:

Of Course Wandering Star won the last Three Kings Race, looking forward to the next one.

Brilliant competed in an early RNI unfortunately lost the skipper overboard. 

I was on WS for that.

Did brilliant later become simply brilliant, or are they two different  boats?

Do you know what year Brilliant competed in RNI?

was the skipper MOB an incident where he / she was recovered or was there a loss of life?

If the latter I had better keep that piece of history from my better half or I can see issues in securing a leave pass for RNI 2023

4 hours ago, Shimmer said:

Do you know what year Brilliant competed in RNI?

was the skipper MOB an incident where he / she was recovered or was there a loss of life?

If the latter I had better keep that piece of history from my better half or I can see issues in securing a leave pass for RNI 2023

The 1983 race suffered a fatality when Phil Levy was lost overboard off Brilliant in fairly light conditions one night in the vicinity of Cape Turnagain. Phil’s body was never recovered after intensive eight-day search. His sister Lady Fay Gair presented the Phil Levy Memorial Trophy for the race in Phil’s memory.

Source: https://www.ssanz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RNI2020-Entrants-Guide.pdf

It's worth furthering the discussion in Phil's memory of what you could put in place to alleviate your significant other's concerns.

The technology and the psychology of survival at sea has come a long way since 1983

Some rules that we have on long races - long is anything that goes overnight and the rules apply from the beginning of the race

• Wear a life jacket at all the times while on deck no matter the conditions - you can take it off only if going for a swim
  • Sleep in the full gear that you need to come up on deck in, including your life jacket - you can slip a shoulder to make sleeping easier, but you must be able to slip and clip within seconds to get onto deck
  • Everyone has a PLB in their life jacket - yep we have 8 plbs on board - if you go overboard in the middle of the night with the kite up and a skeleton crew, I can pretty much guarantee that we are not going to find you
  • Get a AIS MOB indicator, (not compulsory for my crew yet), I have one in my life jacket - we have one on the dan buoy (dan buoys are expensive, I want to get it back)

I also follow these rules on other boats I race on, eg S2H, Akl/Fiji etc - I have a slightly modified version when blue water cruising, being that I don't sleep in my wet weather gear but my life jacket is still around my shoulder.

I have shared these rules with my significant other and it makes her feel a little bit better about the long journeys.  We both know there's no guarantees.

Another Townson rally on the cards
Issue date 22 Feb 2022

Another Townson rally is being pencilled in for February 2023 after the overwhelming success of last weekend's rally involved 27 Townsons of all shapes and sizes.

The idea to hold a rally was conceived and organised by Jason Butterfield, Derek Brebner and Tony Kendall and as many as 27 lined up at Orakei Wharf to start at various intervals on their passage towards Waiheke Island. One owner even flew to Auckland, not wanting to miss the experience.

Many gathered at Rocky Bay for the night, where chatter of another rally in 2023 surfaced.

"Sunday morning was unique," Kendall said. "Never before have we had so many Townsons in any one bay at any one time. It was glorious to sit and admire these designs in the early morning sunlight."

"To have so many of these beautifully-shaped yachts sliding so smoothly to windward was an exciting moment never before experienced since the 2000 Millenium Regatta. All had that similar bow profile and that Logan sheer line curve. Townson traditionalists had never had it so good. The boats looked beautiful and inspiring."

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/another-townson-rally-cards

On 9/02/2022 at 6:18 AM, Shimmer said:

Do any of you know much about this story? Did they end up doing the race this year?

https://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2005/nevenka/

Razz looks like they were RYC boat?

so cool

Hi Shimmer 

I know all the ins and outs of the entire trip, I skippered it.

Currently in Sydney since 2008 and active in all on water competition.

Since 2016, now under a permanent safety program to address a vision issue.

Hamilton Island Race Week up next 

You can contact me via FB DRNRAT or +61468467630

Thx Squirrel

FB_IMG_1659790329047.jpg

FB_IMG_1659790342663.jpg