Weather apps

Predict Wind is miles better than the alternatives.

Most other systems are showing you only one forecast from one model system, whereas Predict wind show you 6 different models. I find if they all agree, that's what you'll get. If they don't agree then you need to make a call as to which of them you believe but they also now do an analysis on which model has been most accurate recently, to help you figure out which to believe. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Adrianp said:

but they also now do an analysis on which model has been most accurate recently, to help you figure out which to believe. 

Yes, but I think you have to pay extra to get that feature?

4 hours ago, Adrianp said:

Most other systems are showing you only one forecast from one model system

windy provides models from three different data sources in their free offering, all of them on 12-hour refresh.  You can get increased resolution if you choose one of thier subscription methods.

Reality is that ALL models are only models.  They all make assumptions and guesses, and expect you to fill in the gaps.  The more you use any of the systems, the better you get at understanding and filling in the gaps

5 hours ago, Young Entertainer said:

predict wind,  the observations gives you nowcasting for 20+ sites all over the harbour in a single screen which is really useful

not in the free version though, worth noting. 

2 hours ago, khayyam said:

not in the free version though, worth noting. 

no, but the nowcasting, as well as the 48hr history is arguable the best unique feature, pretty much worth the price on its own

• Upvote 1

+1 for Predictwind as it seems to be more aimed at boaties than a general purpose weather app like Windy which caters for a range of sports.

One of my fav features in the paid version you get a historical comparison of all the weather models for your area so you can learn to work out which model is more reliable. For me in Wgtn - it appears to be ECMWF then UKMO.

Like someone else mentioned even the free version is useful to view and compare the 6 different modelss.

Talking about weather Apps - predictwind for tomorrow is showing mid 30's gusts into potentially 50's - pretty intensive front as it goes through -not much rain by the looks of it for Auck