Is it appropriate to ask....

14 hours ago, Psyche said:

I have seen hairline cracks like that in similar positions near windows on glass boats, Ive just put it down to flex over time eventually cracking the bog. Its easy to fall in the trap of coincidence but correlation does not mean causation. These cracks could have been there unnoticed for some time and the work just gave the final nudge for them to surface.  All panels flex can especially around empty windows frames, what we know is that the laminate is good so structurally everything is ok, its just the fairing that failed. Also the fact that only those rear stb frames (??) are faulty would tend to indicate that the particular area is vulnerable to movement or an issue with the original build otherwise one would expect similar faults on the other lights in a random pattern. The other thing you mentioned is the  high quality work of the yard in general, there has to be some trust in their opinion of what the fault is. Overall its a minor repair unless you are expecting an entire interior repaint, that would get complicated.

The entire starboard side was  badly affected (equally front and rear). The port side hardly at all.  I remind you that the yard worker was notified of the crack just a short time after he started in on the port side. Then Later after putting the wrong sealant (Tube says "Must not be used on Polycarbonate" , and then removing it all a second time there was absolutely no change in the cracking what-so-ever. It's just plain weird - because if there was some inherent weakness in the hull structure- then this should have shown up by a worsening of the situation.

We have been living in that space for four straight years.... basically 24 hours a day. In a space the size of some peoples closets. We have wiped those surfaces down innumerable times in the last few years to avoid mold and clean.  These are surfaces that are inches away from where we have spent hours a day. It is inconceivable that 'we just didn't notice' them. Please give us that much credit. We aren't idiots that are oblivious to our immediate surroundings.  Please don't persists in some unfounded notion here about preexisting hairline cracks.

So it does appear these all showed up at once and apparently over the course of a few days near the end on what has grown into a five month haul out.   Maybe that just happens. 

1 hour ago, 2flit said:

Please don't persists in some unfounded notion here about preexisting hairline cracks.

You asked for input, possibilities etc. 

Is it a possibility that one side was constructed differently to the other, that the layup or cure or resin mix was somehow slightly different?

Is it a possibility that one side has been stressed more than the other, either by a wave or repetitive rig loadings over extended passage making?

Is it a possibility that the cracks developed without you noticing immediately, but your focused attention was drawn to the area by the work?

I find it hard to accept that removal of relatively fresh sealant would damage a well built bespoke Farrier like yours without some plausible explanation other than it was already weakened in some way. As I said I have seen similar hairline cracks in boats before in similar places and if you were in  AK I could take you to see one now. The construction method is balsa core polyester and its above a window. 

• Upvote 1

I believe that there is no clear resolution to this mater. How or why these cracks appeared remains highly uncertain in my mind. In a situation like this there is not a clear answer.  I am satisfied with the understanding that there could have been many contributing factors. 

Thank-you for the advise, time and knowledge this forum provides.

I think this discussion is now at a point of requiring a nuetral Professional to take a look and make a comment directly to you and maybe yard. It is completely impossible for a bunch of people on a Forum, not understanding the entire story and background, to make accurate comments from just one or two photos. It is unfair on the People that have carried out the work and unfair on you the owner, as we are likely to lead you astray. You really need a professional opinion that then discuss a recourse with the yard that did the work.
There are several professionals on this Forum that are experts in Boat Construction, Painting and Fibreglassing, that might be happy to take a look for you. I suggest if anyone like that is here reading this, you PM the poster and offer him your services to take a look and what that may cost.

• Upvote 3