Repairing wet weather gear

Hi all,

I noticed I have a small tear in the outer layer of my Gill wet weather jacket. I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread so won't have any trouble stitching it up but just wanted to check here to see if anyone has any tips before I go poking holes?

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, reinajune said:

Hi all,

I noticed I have a small tear in the outer layer of my Gill wet weather jacket. I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread so won't have any trouble stitching it up but just wanted to check here to see if anyone has any tips before I go poking holes?

Thanks!

Just check the inner coating, I have had 2 Gill OS jackets that have shed their white rubbery coating, basically rendering them useless as waterproofs. Otherwise stitch away!

2 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

Just check the inner coating, I have had 2 Gill OS jackets that have shed their white rubbery coating, basically rendering them useless as waterproofs. Otherwise stitch away!

How long did it take for the coating to shred?

I was thinking of buying.a set of Gill WW gear but you have given me pause...

The first set (well used) about 3 years, the second set (my wifes) that had seen very little use and spent most of its time on a hanger onboard as she often had better things to do, was first noticed around 4 years but may have been shedding the coating as there was white bits below in the hanger locker. It took a while to join the dots. Gill may have done an upgrade since then? These ones were bought around 10 years ago. but they certainly appeared to have a limited life span, heavily used or not.

• Upvote 1

The only issue with any waterproof type fabrics is that when poking a needle into the fabrick, you create holes water will seep through. You can spray a water proofing compound over the repair, but it will be visible. A product is available that canvas workers use to waterproof seems. But a tin of it is waaay too much for a little repair. The product is pretty much the clear stop leak in a spray can you see advertized. A light spray of that will seal the stitching for you. It's just a flexible Polyurathane skin coating. You could create a little puddle of it a small container and use a finger in a glove and wipe it onto just the stiching.

repairing with a needle and thread would work, but seal the seam with some wetsuit type neoprene goo seam sealer or even RTV for the basic version, for a gucci job you really need some kind of iron on patch.

I think it would not be unfair to say that average recreational wet weather gear is overpriced for the quality, and it wears out fast. My Gill was pretty much useless after a season, but high end gear is excellent HPX etc but you pay, I think I paid 3k plus or something that I dont really want to think about again! For harbour and coastal use when it comes time to upgrade, you could do a lot worse than exploring the world of motorbike gear.

• Upvote 2

You can use sail repair tape (stickyback) to patch up holes.

I have seen the white liner shedding on Line7 and HenriLloyd gear, so it is not a Gill specific problem.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the advice, not sure a trash bag is gonna cut it on the bow 😜

Looks like getting a small patch might be the way to go as the inner white lining is still intact. I have also experienced the shedding problem with Henri Lloyd gear - so annoying.

Definitely looking to upgrade to some decent offshore gear but $$$ has me dead.

Cheers!

The "shedding" happens with any brand. it is the type of material used.
Open Ocean gear is great new. But no one ever has said it it great for long term use. So be aware, the cost far outweighs the return you will get.
Last year I bought a High Vis jacket directly from the manufacturers here in NZ. They advertise on Trademe. It was a factory second. Supposedly had a slight mark. I could hardly see it. It is a fanstastic Kacket that I paid $35 dollars for. It is not lined with the Fleece, but it does have the inner lingins to promote air movement and reduce moisture from a sealed outer fabric. It works just as well as my Gill Coastal Jacket. I love it.

• Like 1

I have found motorcycle gear far superior in the wet compared to marine stuff available, both in price and longevity. Not that I have used it onboard, and only at speeds of up to 100k's +- on my bike. The downside is that in hot weather like we have had this summer it is difficult to get sufficient cooling while still reasonable protection from road rash. Whereas on the yacht you can strip off the WW gear as the temperature warms up. Kaiwaka gear was (is?) reasonably priced. I often think that you need to see what the longline  and crayfishermen are wearing for durability and waterproofability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 4/03/2022 at 10:17 AM, Steve Pope said:

I have found motorcycle gear far superior in the wet compared to marine stuff available, both in price and longevity. Not that I have used it onboard, and only at speeds of up to 100k's +- on my bike. The downside is that in hot weather like we have had this summer it is difficult to get sufficient cooling while still reasonable protection from road rash. Whereas on the yacht you can strip off the WW gear as the temperature warms up. Kaiwaka gear was (is?) reasonably priced. I often think that you need to see what the longline  and crayfishermen are wearing for durability and waterproofability.

You could be onto something Steve.  If MC gear works well at 100K on a bike, it is sure to work even better on my speedy vessel roaring along at 5 knots :-)

Edit: Where's KM when you need him? He flies around on an MC too.  I hear he even keeps a eye on this forum 😉