Antifouling

Wheels - I'm assuming you comment with have some background knowledge so can u confirm - are carboline 3000 and altex #5 the same?

I've never understood why companies do that if they are.

If they are not, what is the practical difference?

I no longer have ears on the inside, so am not sure what the political mix is. Sea Barrier 3000 is sold under both Altex and Carboline names. Resine Paints own Altex and import Carboline products. 
The yard I used to use told me the Carboline range was the commercial range and the Altex was Retail. But even that info is some 5yrs old now. So I cannot say for sure how it all works.
However and this is just suspicion, I expect that with all the changes in regs for antifoul mixes, that instead of Altex inventing a new product, which would be costly, they likely bought rights to market one here that is already on the market. Hence the arrival of Carboline. Then it was a case of using up the Altex No5 stock of tins till all gone and then running with the Carboline range. The older Altex No5 can was a copper coloured can. I cannot find any retailer on line selling any of the old cans now. I can only find the new Carboline range. It also would not surprise me if the Carboline 20ltr tins or even larger drums were decanted down into the 4ltr Altx cans till they all got used up. Hence why Carboline was originally only commercial and only 20ltr minimum. It may also be that (if I am correct) you might be able to get Carb SB 3000 in 4ltr tins now. I just spied All Marine advertising a 4ltr, so that may well be the case.

Sea Barrier is a high load copper based Abblative. I believe it is only available in Red Blue and Black.
The Sea Barrier 1000 is a harder copper based Antifoul and can be used as a boot topping.

It seems to be the go to here in Northland. I don't use it myself but everyone else I know does.

Forget the fan worm, the disaster here is the barnacles that arrived circa 2016, cruise ship no doubt. I don't know if it's any better for that particular problem.  On the one hand its soft so arguably it should shed the plates better, on the other hand you can clean a hard antifoul more often. I personally  subscribe to the latter.

On 7/03/2022 at 8:46 AM, Romany said:

Wheels - I'm assuming you comment with have some background knowledge so can u confirm - are carboline 3000 and altex #5 the same?

I've never understood why companies do that if they are.

If they are not, what is the practical difference?

I have recently applied Sea Barrier 3000.  After being told that it is the same as Altex #5 I went and compared the safety data sheets of each and they include the same ingredients at the same rates.  From that I took that they are as good as the same.

AY&B No.5 Antifouling NZ SDS.pdf Sea_Barrier 3000 NZ SDS.pdf

• Upvote 1