Racing Caravans Around North Island

Ok so after having a whole lot of fun in the Northern Triangle Race my co skipper and I are really pretty keen to compete in the 2NI next year, presuming we can grab one of the limited spots, get the boat Cat 2 and that by next year we can hold races like this.

in the mean time I’m looking for any good info or stories from other “caravans” that have competed in this race before

The boys from Open County told me a great one recently about loosing not only their kite but also their forestry on the big leg down the west coast

”only thing holding it up was the 30 knots from behind. . . What ever you do don’t round up!”

What was the story with Pahi? I’ve seen footage of her starting in Wellington 2011 but not listed as a finisher?

Also what caused Wandering Star to withdraw?

Are we mad to contemplate a race like this in a 40 year old wooden boat?

Pahi did well. Finished all legs. Got 2nd in their division, and fifth overall out of 26 boats. results: http://www.ssanzhist.co.nz/results.html?id=120  Have a chat to Mark. 

Also talk to Kurt from Pelagian, another Stewart 34. And get an emergency crash bilge pump.

I think both Stewarts added a removable prod and gennaker for this race.

Thanks guys some great encouragement

thanks Jon now I have found the old results on the SSANZ site I see Pahi did indeed do very well.

I’ll try and buy Mark a beer if we are ever allowed back to yacht clubs after racing.

It's funny how everyone adds prods etc etc and concentrates on downwind and reaching performance....  but I'd suggest for a great overall result you want a strong upwind performer for the RNI

14 minutes ago, Cameron said:

It's funny how everyone adds prods etc etc and concentrates on downwind and reaching performance....  but I'd suggest for a great overall result you want a strong upwind performer for the RNI

Prods are a man thing 

Yep I have been wondering if we would be better off keeping things simple and hopefully keeping our PHRF low

you may not get much chance to use the extra fruit but you pay the time penalty the whole way around

18 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

Yep I have been wondering if we would be better off keeping things simple and hopefully keeping our PHRF low

you may not get much chance to use the extra fruit but you pay the time penalty the whole way around

Yep... your on to it! But do think about how you can utilise existing sails more effectively when reaching... ie whisker poles, storm jib as a staysail etc

To be fair, a number of us pulled out in 2011 due to ChCh earthquake. Dead extended family members made a yacht race slightly less important.

• Like 1