Five people rescued so far in large-scale operation off North Cape

52 minutes ago, khayyam said:

I hope not. If so, what on earth were they doing out in this!?

Fishing Charter Vessel Enchanter. 

Thoughts are with the families😢

• Upvote 1

Well actually this weather was predicted late last week so we planned a cruising race around it, had a safety talk on board with the Three Kings Crew yesterday the young ones will now perhaps understand why we were going through all eventualities.

We came home Saturday as it was obvious Sunday was going to be a sh*tfight for wind and sea state. A couple of the crew a bit whingey about it, wanted more fishing time but both those guys called me Sunday to say thanks, good call.  Cant understand why you would be attacking 3 King in that.

Without judgement, the launch and its crew appeared to be well-found and capable even in a large sea state.  I await the official report, but expect to hear about about some unusual structural or mechanical catastrophic failure - window perhaps as noted above.

Separately my brother, his wife and 26yo son and Mrs Aardvark brought a Townson 34 down from Whangarei to Mahurangi on Saturday in benign wind but uncomfortable swells.  I definitely encouraged them to be in Mahurangi by late afternoon and not to overnight at Kawau as they had thought they might do.  We are all glad they did.

So many experts who have no idea of what went on. Lance sailed before the weather was called on last Wednesday. The boat is particularly well found. Lance is a highly respected skipper and vessel operator (he has 2 other similar boats. His boats are meticulously maintained and presented. Judge a man but be prepared to be judged in return. 

Fishing boat tragedy: Fifth body found, skipper among the survivors

"It's inconceivable why he would have gone out in that weather."

A midnight mercy mission saw the Enchanter's sister vessel, the Pacific Invader, leave Mangonui Harbour during the ferocious storm to help search for the missing boat, a former charter boat skipper said.

A man who was on a fishing charter at the Three Kings at the weekend said his skipper pulled the pin on the trip at dawn yesterday and the sea was already rough then. "Was still a rocking trip back home. Wouldn't want to be in anything worse."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/fishing-boat-tragedy-fifth-body-found-skipper-among-the-survivors/VTGJWLPVOXQOXQTFEADTPOB4RI/

55 minutes ago, Far North Boy said:

So many experts who have no idea of what went on. Lance sailed before the weather was called on last Wednesday. The boat is particularly well found. Lance is a highly respected skipper and vessel operator (he has 2 other similar boats. His boats are meticulously maintained and presented. Judge a man but be prepared to be judged in return. 

But surely he could have returned to base earlier as the forecast worsened?

• Upvote 3