Draft of Raven 31?

Looking at buying a Raven 31 as I need a reasonably shallow boat to get over a riverbar.

Various sites have the draft at 1.52m, 1.6m and 1.67m. The owners group site has both 1.52m and 1.67m. There are no mentions of keel options.

I don't want to have to pay for a haul to find out the boat is deeper draft than expected. 

Can anyone confirm the draft of a Raven 31?

15cm difference in draft is less than the depth difference between tides at the same phase.  It should be immaterial to your choice.

For instance, Matiatia today will be 0.28m above datum @ low tide.  By Saturday, it's 0.57m.  30cm difference.  Add some wave motion and 15cm means next to nothing - waiting 20 minutes perhaps.

• Upvote 2

Hi ECS, Loved the Raven. Stern is outstanding as love sailing, fishing Diving etc. Always felt  safe, even took her round the North Island via the Three Kings. Only change would be a bigger rig as she is a big volume boat and sticky in the light.

On 21/03/2022 at 3:03 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

15cm difference in draft is less than the depth difference between tides at the same phase.  It should be immaterial to your choice.

For instance, Matiatia today will be 0.28m above datum @ low tide.  By Saturday, it's 0.57m.  30cm difference.  Add some wave motion and 15cm means next to nothing - waiting 20 minutes perhaps.

It matters if past the bar its only 1.5-2m deep in the anchoring area in the river behind. 1.52m is at the limit

8 hours ago, East Coast Sailer said:

It matters if past the bar its only 1.5-2m deep in the anchoring area in the river behind. 1.52m is at the limit

Yeah I get that.  We draw 1.7 and our river entrance is 0.8 datum at its shallowest point. 

My point still stands.  If 15cm in draft is too close for comfort and leaves you no margin for error, you have a problem with either keel.

Nice boat though!  I'd be happy in one.  Lots of room, safe, look ok.   Might be a bit slow but it's for cruising not racing and so again the performance difference is marginal.

good luck with your decision-making.

14 hours ago, East Coast Sailer said:

Talking of the rig, do you know the rig height (air draft). I occasionally tuck under a 12m MHWS bridge. The Raven is slightly too tall.

I'd think anything of that size would be tight. The raven is already a "modest" rig. 

Ravens problem wasnt height of rig but it being a true 3/4 rig. Combine this with a furler and a little small up front. However does make it a great family boat. Forard berth and heads are huge, great locker that fits EVERYTHING and a scoop thats big enough to store a 2.5m inflatable sideways. Off the wind in any real wind, rocky steady with speeds 8-10knots consistent. Upwind a bit low and slow. If you point up too high goes sideways so trim for not quiet eased and point a little low..VMG then OK  My 5 cents worth