Today’s pillock

If anyone knows the owner of Vantage, please dump a lot of manure on his verandah.

- failing to give way

- exceeding 5 knots within 50m of another vessel 

- exceeding 5 knots within 200m of the shore

- not giving a sh*t about the effect of his wake

- being an all-round dickbrain 

2964BB8B-ADAE-4F04-886E-719FB27BCF07.jpeg

CF501A7C-169E-482C-97BC-3CDBEA31D846.jpeg

18 hours ago, Lindsay said:

If anyone knows the owner of Vantage, please dump a lot of manure on his verandah.

- failing to give way

- exceeding 5 knots within 50m of another vessel 

- exceeding 5 knots within 200m of the shore

- not giving a sh*t about the effect of his wake

- being an all-round dickbrain 

2964BB8B-ADAE-4F04-886E-719FB27BCF07.jpeg

CF501A7C-169E-482C-97BC-3CDBEA31D846.jpeg

Also I note from your bottom picture that he has cut across your bow from port to starboard when you have right of way. Certainly not good seamanship.

• Upvote 1

I happened to be going down the harbour yesterday on a Riv***a  (at 7 knots) when the harbourmaster pulled up T2 the powercat -I imagine they heard me cheering as that prick has caused a breaking wave to break into my yachts cockpit off Queens wharf in the past -and still he continues with no regards for others.

• Upvote 2

I had an incident a few weeks ago where a large red launch (called Red Express) would have run me down if I hadn't taken evasive action.

I contacted the harbourmaster with the name of the boat, time of day and location.

I got a notification it was received. Nothing since.

Nobody was hurt: not interested.

Just now, twisty said:

I had an incident a few weeks ago where a large red launch (called Red Express) would have run me down if I hadn't taken evasive action.

I contacted the harbourmaster with the name of the boat, time of day and location.

I got a notification it was received. Nothing since.

Nobody was hurt: not interested.

I sent the video to HM and got a reply this morning saying that I was clearly the stand-on vessel and that they’d try to contact the owner. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/news/media-releases-2022/20220530a.asp

Jae-Ho Huh was sentenced on 27 May in the Auckland District Court after earlier pleading guilty to one charge under the Maritime Transport Act.

He was prosecuted after his 11-metre launch, with three people aboard, collided with the schooner SV Arcturus.

The collision occurred between Rangitoto Island and St Heliers in Auckland in March 2020. At the time, the launch was travelling under auto-pilot at between 15 and 20 knots (28-37 km/h).

Mr Huh has been fined $ $3,900 and ordered to pay reparations for consequential loss totalling $18,537.94, and additional reparation for emotional harm of $500 per victim.

BUGGER ALL FINE

• Upvote 1

Mr Huh did not see the 18.3-metre long SV Arcturus until it was only 15-20 metres in front of him. He did not have time to disengage the autopilot or slow down before the collision. Of the ten people on board the SV Arcturus, the skipper’s 13-year-old son was thrown into the harbour by the force of the collision and two passengers (a man and 12-year-old boy) jumped in for fear of injury. The skipper pulled the two boys back on board but could not reach the man who had drifted away.

"Mr Huh then turned his launch to try to rescue the man but almost ran him over before colliding with SV Arcturus a second time."

With the preponderance of giant launches purchased by people who are morons the only surprising thing is that there hasn't been deaths or serious injury as a consequence of this kind of skill level. You can right now in NZ go out and buy an 80 foot Riv with zero boating experience and drive around at 30kts

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Psyche said:

With the preponderance of giant launches purchased by people who are morons the only surprising thing is that there hasn't been deaths or serious injury as a consequence of this kind of skill level. You can right now in NZ go out and buy an 80 foot Riv with zero boating experience and drive around at 30kts

Frightening really,broker friday night and away Saturday with no idea,be like a new restricted driver driving the latest ferrari. Need some sort of regulation,but would that safety or taking away my rights?

• Downvote 1

I am not a fan of regulation, lets all appreciate how good we have it. I am sure there are many many self interested parties who would love to impose a licensing regime, fines, boat registration, safety inspections water police etc- new agencies and ceo jobs galore, politicians claiming to have cleaned up the seas from the reckless endangerment of ourselves by ourselves. 

Best thing is that people get educated and the HM gives out stiff fines for the above behaviour, which is essentially not keeping a lookout.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, harrytom said:

Frightening really,broker friday night and away Saturday with no idea,be like a new restricted driver driving the latest ferrari. Need some sort of regulation,but would that safety or taking away my rights?

Rights have corresponding responsiblities.

In the old days of relativelyexpensive, low powered craft in relatively uncongested waters, self-regulation probably made sense.  Without autohelming and all the electronics aboard that is de rigeur these days, the skipper ipso-facto had to be on lookout and know what they were doing.

Nowdays, not so much.  The mix of craft, electronics, operator capability, and volume of traffic on any day means we are past the time when hoping people wil do the right thing is sufficient.  

In a country where the rescue of failed skippers and their crew and the medical treatment of anyone injured is at the expense of the state, the state, on our behalf, has a right to expect operators to hold a minimum of qualifications and prove a level of competence.

• Upvote 2

You have a good point there AA, certainly when anyone with a few million can buy a huge high speed launch and literally be sent on their way from the brokerage with a pat on the back. My self interest is showing, I like the freedom we have on the water.

Licensing has not worked in any country I have been to (except as a revenue gathering exercise) , similar issues to NZ seen every day. We already have sufficient laws, they are just not policed.... Mostly.

• Upvote 1