Today’s pillock

12 hours ago, Island Time said:

Licensing has not worked in any country I have been to (except as a revenue gathering exercise) , similar issues to NZ seen every day. We already have sufficient laws, they are just not policed.... Mostly.

Difficult to police if you don't have an income stream to fund it, a registration scheme to identify craft, and a licencing scheme to provide a set of objective minimum standards.

9 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Plus that congestion only happens in Auckland and maybe a couple of other spots at Xmas. What about the rest of the country?

Oddly, we apply road laws mandating registration, licencing etc even on backroads on the West Coast.  Perhaps marine licencing and registration could follow this approach.

We already have mandatory registration for seamaggots, its not a long reach from there to a similar scheme for all craft - possibly allowing for small, light displacement, low speed craft to be exempt.  

50 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Why? As IT said it doesn't work.

doesn't work to acheive what?  Where?  Under what circumstances?

I agree that badly drafted law and poor enforcement may lead to poor outcomes.  Also, legislation and regulation is not the 100% cure - education, social pressure, the power of insurance companies to require proof, all contribute.  

But every year we see posts like the op - a constant stream of complaints about poor boat-handling, navigation, colregs compliance, harbour bylaw compliance.  Just as there is a claim that legislating licincing and registration don't work, its obivious the status quo is not working either.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I agree that badly drafted law and poor enforcement may lead to poor outcomes.  Also, legislation and regulation is not the 100% cure - education, social pressure, the power of insurance companies to require proof, all contribute.  

But every year we see posts like the op - a constant stream of complaints about poor boat-handling, navigation, colregs compliance, harbour bylaw compliance.  Just as there is a claim that legislating licincing and registration don't work, its obivious the status quo is not working either.

Driven a car lately? They are Licensed and registered.

Still bloody idiots everywhere.

And crashes

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

And crashes

I’m sure you don’t mean this Clipper but the logical inference of your comment is that you think we should do away with car licensing and registration …

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Clipper said:

And crashes

I swear today was 'Tailgate Every Car Day.'

The back motorway was awash with it this morning. Thought I better join in at one stage as I clearly stuck out like dogs balls.

Cant wait for me trip home

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I’m sure you don’t mean this Clipper but the logical inference of your comment is that you think we should do away with car licensing and registration …

Haha, yeah, nah, not what I meant.

I agree with khayyam that actually enforcing our existing rules might be a good start.

• Upvote 4
11 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Countries, states, counties, jurisdictions that license and register boat do not have improved statistics regards boating accidents and drownings.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Countries, states, counties, jurisdictions that license and register boat do not have improved statistics regards boating accidents and drownings.

without looking too hard, this came up.

https://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/documents/Boating_Incidents_in_NSW_Statistical Report_17_18.pdf

• Vessel wash — A continued effort should be made to educate boaters about vessel wash – from two main perspectives: – wash generating vessels – vessels vulnerable to the effects of wash. — Consideration should be given to the development of a state‑wide wash strategy, along with any further research needed to better understand the impacts of wash and how these might be mitigated.

Yes!

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Got to about page 10 and skipped to the conclusion.  Nothing comparing their stats with unlicensed and unregistered jurisdictions.  Did I miss something?

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Got to about page 10 and skipped to the conclusion.  Nothing comparing their stats with unlicensed and unregistered jurisdictions.  Did I miss something?

graphs showing reduction of incidents over time despite increasing number of craft.  We have similar increase in craft numbers (by %) but relatively flat incident line.  Not conclusive enough for a scientist for sure, but a good indicator that registration and licencing helps reduce incidents.

11 hours ago, Black Panther said:

That's what CG do now.

Yep. That and the enforcement/policing of existing rules would work fine. No need for yet more regulation. The harbour masters and maritime nz can already fine people.

• Upvote 1