Today’s pillock

Just to update this unfortunate thread. We were coming home from Izzy today. Off the Devonport yacht club we saw TWO big stinky's go roaring through the mooring area. They both took the sandspit post to port doing about 15 knots and then proceeded to go right through the middle of the moored boats before doing a hard left to avoid Devonport wharf. I've never seen anything like it. Couldn't read any names. Hopefully someone in the DYC saw it.

On another similar note we were motoring up the Waiheke channel when a big Riviera came towards us at a rate of knots less than 50 m away. I get my camera out to film him. Never seen a guy get off the throttle so quick. He obviously knew he was being a dick. I think the problem is that a lot of them know what they are doing but just don't care. Unless they get caught !!

• Like 2

Don't know what it is but the stinkpots seem to be reaching new lows this summer. A blue superyacht (not sure of the name) at full chat cut inside my mate's Y88 coming in the north entrance to Fitzroy. He turned into the wake but it was like hitting a brick wall, enough water came in the front hatch to top the floorboards. Watched a jetskier cutting between my moored boat and a group of kids in the water at high speed. Measured it up afterwards on google earth and not 20m between us. He did it twice just for good measure. One wrong twitch of the handlebars and it would have been a triple fatality. I'd keep a camera handy in the cockpit to try and get their rego if I thought anyone would do anything about it.

Here on the ranch I can see the rooster tails from the retards jet skis fanging around the shallows of Mangawhai some one will get seriously injured at some stage and odds on it will be a innocent member of the public.

The local nominated harbourmaster doesn’t even have a boat duh.

Interesting I sailed the DF95 down at New Plymouth on Waitangi Day at the New Plymouth Radio Sailing Club on Lake Rotomoa, one section is closed for powerboats, jet skis etc, they have to take turns on the water in 10 minute slots and going anti clockwise. All the boats are moored, anchored up against the bank in one section of the shoreline and take off from there.

Ok there is a bit of wake especially after a wakeboarding boat but we soon learnt to tack on to port and surf the waves into the top mark. 

What is it about launchies and generators? Anchored in Bon Accord last weekend, a launch anchored about 50m away and as soon as main engines off, it's generator on until his bed time. Then in the morning, routine is wake up, generator on, left on until anchor up. Have these guys never heard of batteries? Another time a launch anchored about 20m upwind of me, started his generator and then the whole crew went across to a neighbouring boat for the evening. They just seem oblivious to the nuisance they create

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 12/02/2023 at 1:07 PM, SHK said:

What is it about launchies and generators? Anchored in Bon Accord last weekend, a launch anchored about 50m away and as soon as main engines off, it's generator on until his bed time. Then in the morning, routine is wake up, generator on, left on until anchor up. Have these guys never heard of batteries? Another time a launch anchored about 20m upwind of me, started his generator and then the whole crew went across to a neighbouring boat for the evening. They just seem oblivious to the nuisance they create

It's mind-blowing the power consumption of moderate to large launches! Even with large battery banks they seem to continually need topping up! Where as on a F1020 a 100ah battery can run everything I need all night even with the stereo cranked a bit too loud! Mind you I'm not running TV's, Microwave, Oven, Washing Machine, multiple fridges, coffee machine, etc etc etc...

• Upvote 1

Go for a swim and jam a potato in the exhausr

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, harrytom said:

Go for a swim and jam a potato in the exhausr

8 hours ago, harrytom said:

SHK and Harry - gotta say this is a bit rough on launch owners - they are not all like that, some of them don't buzz with the generators all night .   You shouldn't generalise.  Naughty naughty.  
Does it say more about you guys than them?  Maybe ask Rangi1.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Zozza said:

SHK and Harry - gotta say this is a bit rough on launch owners - they are not all like that, some of them don't buzz with the generators all night .   You shouldn't generalise.  Naughty naughty.  

1 hour ago, Zozza said:

I’m happy to answer them Zoz, as it didn’t say to stick a root vegetable up every exhaust. It was in response to a particular sub-section of boat owners that run their generators all night. I’m sure a small number of yacht owners also run their engines to charge the batteries and get the water hot. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Rangi1 said:

I’m happy to answer them Zoz, as it didn’t say to stick a root vegetable up every exhaust. It was in response to a particular sub-section of boat owners that run their generators all night. I’m sure a small number of yacht owners also run their engines to charge the batteries and get the water hot. 

Ok fair enough Rangi...I'm calmed down a bit and hopefully a few others have too.  I was actually taking the Michael a bit with my generalisation, and even thought about deleting my post couple mins later early this morning, but started work, and forgot about it - then saw the pile on, and got a little testy.

As someone said, there's has been more serious things going on recently - lets just put it down to blokes letting of steam, me included.

Cheers

• Upvote 1