Trailer Winches

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Bonito Aquarius 22, which seems lovely to sail, but a bit recalcitrant to mount its trailer.  There are no rollers; it just sits on its keel and even with the trailer extension, needs some persuasion to get it on.  I don't fancy giving my car much of a dunk to get the trailer deeper.

The winch didn't seem to have the muscle to pull it all the way to the stops the other day and eventually under load the handle began to turn without the winch mechanism moving (but it holds the strap securely).  Is there any chance the winch isn't buggered?  I haven't had a chance to take it off and play with it; I'll need to get the boat back in the water first.  

I think it is one of these: https://www.repco.co.nz/en/4x4-adventure-escape/4x4-offroad/winches-accessories/repco-open-winch-5-to-1-with-6m-strap-rw5to1/p/A1215870?kwSearch=trailer winch

I'm thinking about grabbing the 10 to 1 version to avoid having a repeat from replacing like for like.

Cheers,

David

What is the keel sliding on? Last time I saw one, the trailer channel was lined with timber. If so, wet timber ain't going to slide very well. Rather than adding to the strain with a more powerful winch, I would be considering getting some rollers in there somehow, or - lining the channel with one of the modern very hard plastics.

• Upvote 1

Be careful,  some of the loads can get dramatic. Had my neighbor recently winching a Bonito powerboat onto a trailer and the hook at the end connecting the wire to the boat failed suddenly, the recoil from the wire pierced his artery on his winching arm just below his shoulder. Fortunately a Dr nearby- he ended up in a chopper to Middlemore. from Omaha!

When it's  getting harder to winch- its not necessarily a good idea to winch harder- a lower friction solution like IT is suggesting might be wise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!  Yes, it is on a timber plank, so it sounds very sensible to replace with a lower friction option; I don't fancy being dramatically wounded by a winching failure.

Check out some other Aquarius 22 trailers. we have a couple in our area an they do not struggle getting them on the trailer. As mentioned above be aware of over loading the winch wire/rope, the S hook an D on the boat.

I had a Moonraker TS with similar issue. I fitted rollers instead of the plank. But the issue was the angle of attack. The boat is floating level while the trailer is on an angle so the leading corner of the keel was contacting below the centerline of the rollers and had to jump over each one until a certain point was reached when the angle became less. In the end I doubled the number of rollers at the critical area where initial contact was made. 
it wasn’t cheap but easy enough for DIY to add two galv angle iron  bars beside the plank, drilled holes and used SS Rod with split pins. 
a polymer slider as IT suggests may haven easier though. 

why not remove the side supports and fit wobbles on,can still have keel on plank or change to rollers.Not hard job or overly enpensive,wobbles positioned correctly will keep boat on main keel rollers.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiwFCyhpvq5EEjwCnpdSyL4W1FeZzfmIeYis0pS8zYhz1OHmgQcYl2mhrvV5jzfgFJxoVnBo3NMZuTLPyB_2xnW3Jtw2UCV1uppnMc7q1w&usqp=CAE

3 hours ago, Island Time said:

Most of those trailers don't have Keel Rollers. They are float on trailers completely without rollers...

All well and good if you have a step ramp or want to submerge trailer,how many are fitted with bearing buddies,slight pressure on grease to help keep water out of bearings?

14 hours ago, harrytom said:

why not remove the side supports and fit wobbles on,can still have keel on plank or change to rollers.Not hard job or overly enpensive,wobbles positioned correctly will keep boat on main keel rollers.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiwFCyhpvq5EEjwCnpdSyL4W1FeZzfmIeYis0pS8zYhz1OHmgQcYl2mhrvV5jzfgFJxoVnBo3NMZuTLPyB_2xnW3Jtw2UCV1uppnMc7q1w&usqp=CAE

We have about 50 trailer yachts at our club and the ones with those rollers have permanent dimples in the hull . The Noelex’s have rollers for the keel 

If you have a float on trailer, bearing buddies are a good idea, or you'll be changing bearings pretty often. Unless it's really only used for launching, not road transport. Brakes can be an issue as well..