Propspeed

Chewing Gum

when was on the hard last cleaned up prop well with wire wheel on grinder

sprayed on 3 coats of international etch primer, red oxide

then brushed on 2 coats of international ultra, hard antifoul, dark blue

after an hour? running can see some of the blue has come off, showing red

so it looks like most of the hard antifoul will be coming off pretty soon....

when the water is warmer will slip in and put on some heavy lanolin

picked up a 1 ltr tub of this stuff for $7.90

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =817496096

from

Merv Smith Hobbies Limited,

27 Davis Crescent, Newmarket,

Auck PO Box 113-042

Newmarket, (09) 522-7450.

E-mail merv@mervsmithhobbies.co.nz

said they were selling a lot of it and would soon run out

I haven't been able to ask about the propspeed yet. But in regards to the Anti-fouling paint. This is the information I have obtained so far.

The anti-foul is made by Hempel, which is a huge company in Denmark. The first Hempel factory opened in 1915. Today they have 6 R&D facilities and 20 manufacturing plants, 47 sales offices and over 130 stock points across five continents.

The NZ distributor is Coatings NZ which is Auckland based. Sorry, I don't know the address, you will have to look that one up. They do trade sales from the Wharehouse, so I suggest you guys pop in and buy direct if you want it.

There is a huge range of products available, but I will just list the Anti-fouls here seeing as that is what the subject is.

Firstly, they do not do any coating similar to Propspeed.

They have 5 types of anti-fouling coatings.

Globic NCT: this is a Self polishing High performing coating based on Nanocapsule Technology (I hear ya asking, but no idea) for bottom and boottop with 2 polishing rates, high polishing and low polishing.

Oceanic Range: High Solids, Tin free, self-smoothening and self polishing for bottom and boottop. Offers protection for up to 36mths on the sides and 60mths on the bottom.

Olympic Range: Same as above, offers 36mth protection.

Hempasil 77500: Biocide Free, silicone fouling release coating with high solidscontent for Deep Sea, high activity vessels with service speed in the 15-30kt range.

Hempasil 77100: Copper Free, Biocide Free, silicone fouling release coating with high solids content for high speed craft, powerful commercial and military vessels with service speeds above 25kts and with medium to high activity.

(I am wondering what those two products above might be like for prop and shaft)

The price is something like $30/ltr. The guy getting me the price couldn't remember the exact figure he was told, but was pretty sure it was around that. It's might be slightly cheaper, but I don't want to mislead, so lets go for higher. Even if we can get 2 or 3 years out of it, it makes it cheaper than anything else I know and if we can't, then at least it is no more expensive than anything else at the mo. If we really can get 60mths, that will be a real bonus. It is also available in 5ltr tins.

I hope that helps, I am certainly keen on giving it a go next haul out.

Hempels olympic is great as long as you do not scrub/wash it,very very ablative,$190 5lt mt smart marine

Archived