Splicing eyes in 3mm dyneema

I am changing the genoa sheet leads to low friction rings.  These will have 3mm dyneema line as the control line in a double purchase set-up running back to a conventional block that uses 6mm yachting braid for handling, again in double purchase.

So I had to learn how to eye splice 3mm double braid dyneema.

It's a fun learning experience once you get your head around the minute scale of what is happening.

A big doll maker's needle makes a fid of sorts and the tweezers help pull the loose ends through the core.

Test method is a bit dodgy- will it hold an 85kg person suspended 50mm off the ground.

No failures yet.

Method is here 

IMG_20220423_152733.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

OK, so aside from a possible reason other than ease of making the spice, be aware that the inner core is poor in regards to UV exposure. The last photo just above looks like it has been coated and that will give protection.
The other possible issue is that the outer cover can slip over the core and the strain will come soley on the stitch. Nornally for full protection, we would also splice the outer cover along with the core. That way the line works in the way in which it was made.
I see that the video makers also do a cover to cover splice and hence I was wondering why the Core only splice.

49 minutes ago, wheels said:

OK, so aside from a possible reason other than ease of making the spice, be aware that the inner core is poor in regards to UV exposure. The last photo just above looks like it has been coated and that will give protection.
The other possible issue is that the outer cover can slip over the core and the strain will come soley on the stitch. Nornally for full protection, we would also splice the outer cover along with the core. That way the line works in the way in which it was made.
I see that the video makers also do a cover to cover splice and hence I was wondering why the Core only splice.

Thanks wheels - I'm a total noob in regards the use of what are to me high tech fibres. 

The other end will be similar in technique, so the load is completely off the cover - all through the core.

The line is about $1 a metre and I'm using about 8m in total - if I have to replace it yearly or less, its not a biggie.  Its also on a non-critical component so if it fails at worst I have a flappy genoa sheet and/or a twist in the sail.

When I get better at double braid splicing I'll go with a full cover, but at the moment my attempts end up looking like a spider has taken a huge dose of amphetamines and then spun a web for capturing tigers. 😏

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

The other end will be similar in technique, so the load is completely off the cover - all through the core.

Arr OK, I was not sure how your line was going to be used.
I was considering a line going around a winch, the cover ends up taking a lot of the drag and will move along the core. Even drag through sets of pulleys will do it.
If weight is an issue, often the cover is removed or you can of course buy just the core alone. CRA sell a core only and they coat it to protect it from UV. Cheaper than buying a core and cover and then discarding the cover. They can also custom splice it to suit your needs.

• Like 1

A good trick for splicing these thin ropes is using a thin piece of welding wire folded in half. Push it up the rope the wrong way then slot the tuck into the folded bit and pull the core back in - rather than using a fid to push it through.
A bit like this:

• Upvote 1