Leccy ferry for Auckland

I see that Mcwings have got funding from all of us taxpayers to build two fully electric ferries for the inner harbour (20 mill each)

Whilst in the background Fullers have privately funded a Hybrid ferry that can reach Waiheke and return 

The Government has confirmed Auckland will receive its first electric ferries by 2024.

The electric ferries will be 200-seat vessels, which have been under development for nearly three years by Auckland-based EV Maritime – an offshoot of boat builder McMullen and Wing.

Auckland's ageing ferry fleet accounts for nearly 7% of the city’s public transport journeys, but produces 20.5% of all public transport emissions in the city.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/128452777/government-commits-27m-for-electric-ferries-in-auckland

• Upvote 1
On 26/04/2022 at 6:14 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

More realistic than the ground effect flying boats that were touted last week as "operational as early as 2025".

When I saw that news item, I was thinking about the kaos that would be out there on the Gulf, when we have boaties not obeying the Nav laws now, imagine a thing traveling at multi hundreds of Kph zipping around. So in saying that, obviously such a thing being allowed to go that fast in Harbor limits will be out of the question. Travel between say Wellington and Lyttelton might be worth it, but Strait conditions is going to limit entry/exit. Sounds interesting and would be exciting to take, but it's going to need to be competative.

On 26/04/2022 at 6:15 PM, harrytom said:

Total waste of money,40kms distance.

Was it 2000 Tonne of Co2 they reported they would save per yr? $27mill for 2000t is a lot per tonne. I don't get how they say it will save the Council $200mill/yr. Or did they mean, "earn" the council.
Which is one of my beefs, country wide councils should not be in opposition/competition to local businesses. But I won't go down that track further as I understand it is against the rules.
Or is my entire post outside the rules? Happy if Admin wish to delete it.

Talking to someone who delivers diesel in our wee region last night and it was eye opening how many 1,000's of litres are being delivered on a weekly basis to generate electricity when the network either can't supply enough or there are pricing spikes due to demand / supply making diesel a cheaper option. 

I suspect the funds being spent on the ferries would be better spent on boosting renewable power generation and distribution but I guess that isn't as sexy.

A genuinely independent report into the state and future options for our electricity infrastructure based on engineering would be a sensible investment and make interesting reading.

And not to mention the 500 tonnes of coal a week coming through Auckland port to be burnt at MereMere to make our clean electricity and power these ludicrously expensive 'clean' ferrys. But hey lets not get the facts in the way of a  nice story. Fullers are clever, building a hybrid that will run to Waiheke or wherever that can take the inevitable knocks from wharves etc, whilst waiting to see if the full leccy ones work before offering to run them for AT.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wheels said:

When I saw that news item, I was thinking about the kaos that would be out there on the Gulf, when we have boaties not obeying the Nav laws now, imagine a thing traveling at multi hundreds of Kph zipping around. 

Yes. When it is flying at 10m above sea level, who gives way?  Does it follow aviation rules, or maritime rules?

With the seaplane near westhaven, it has to give way when airborne, then becomes a power vessel when it lands.

Also how does the ground effect work when it is flying over 2 or 3 metre swells?

Dont hold your breath waiting for the planes to operate here, also they promised cheaper fares than the existing seaplane to Man o war or Vivian Bay. That is patently impossible with their up front costs.

22 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

Thats an old story now. The current one is that Tiwai will go and a Data centre is to be built and fed the power Tiwai takes. And yes, large Data Centres can take that kind of power. Google is using the same amount of energy as San Francisco uses.

21 hours ago, waikiore said:

And not to mention the 500 tonnes of coal a week coming through Auckland port to be burnt at MereMere to make our clean electricity and power these ludicrously expensive 'clean' ferrys. But hey lets not get the facts in the way of a  nice story. Fullers are clever, building a hybrid that will run to Waiheke or wherever that can take the inevitable knocks from wharves etc, whilst waiting to see if the full leccy ones work before offering to run them for AT.

I believe that has come to an end. Or was supposed to have.

On 26/04/2022 at 1:40 PM, waikiore said:

I see that Mcwings have got funding from all of us taxpayers to build two fully electric ferries for the inner harbour (20 mill each)

Whilst in the background Fullers have privately funded a Hybrid ferry that can reach Waiheke and return 

Fullers would be better off investing in a ferry(ies) that had extra capacity rather than having to leave frustrated passengers still waiting while the scheduled ferry fully loaded pulls out meaning an hour wait to the next one during peak times. Let alone operating a service that recognises the need for extra sailings in peak times and not going to a winter timetable before peak weekends like Easter and school holidays 

1 hour ago, Priscilla II said:

Who is actually going to operate these publicly funded ferries my guess Fullers at a profit making peppercorn lease with no release of the deal struck due to commercial sensitivity.

Same as the buses, deals done with public money but somehow the public are left in the dark.

Fullers have no competition, you know free market and all that. I think Auckland would be better served with a model similar to NSW with a govt transport agency overseeing the show and competitive bidding for services.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Fullers have no competition, you know free market and all that. I think Auckland would be better served with a model similar to NSW with a govt transport agency overseeing the show and competitive bidding for services.

Fullers CEO on RNZ today suggesting that this is their preferred model with the public providing the vessels etc and them not having to upgrade the aging ferry fleet just becoming operators of the services.

The one thing that surprised me is the 20% contribution to air pollution the ferries make in Auckland considering the bus fleet appears to be running on coal.

Makes sense if you want to maximise private profit, the public (you and me) buy and maintain the fleet while Fullers clip the ticket.  Surely the govt could put those routes up for tender. We could form a crew.org consortium and chuck our hat in the ring if the govt is going to buy free ferries for us!

8 hours ago, wheels said:

I believe that has come to an end. Or was supposed to have.

Gleeson n Cox.Still carting coal to Huntly,winter coming on so more coal,not sure if regal still carting from Tauranga.