Leccy ferry for Auckland

It’s not the govt which puts routes up for tender. Under the public transport operating model [PTOM] all PT routes are put up for tender by the regional council (AT in Auckland’s case). The Waiheke and Devonport runs are exempt from PTOM thanks to Fullers lobbying Steven Joyce when the system was created. This has created a monopoly with no control over fares, frequencies or standards. AT is currently negotiating with Fullers to bring the Waiheke and Devonport services into PTOM. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Lindsay said:

It’s not the govt which puts routes up for tender. Under the public transport operating model [PTOM] all PT routes are put up for tender by the regional council (AT in Auckland’s case). The Waiheke and Devonport runs are exempt from PTOM thanks to Fullers lobbying Steven Joyce when the system was created. This has created a monopoly with no control over fares, frequencies or standards. AT is currently negotiating with Fullers to bring the Waiheke and Devonport services into PTOM. 

Yep = this is a development that is long overdue.... as for Fullers preferred model - Ha ! Who wouldnt want to operate the most profitable route in Auckland and not have to own or maintain the ferries

Major Auckland ferry overhaul: Devonport integrated into AT network, new agreement for Waiheke Island service

Auckland Transport says it has teamed up with Fullers360 for a new public-private ferry partnership.

AT's Darek Koper said the move to AT procuring new electric ferries would speed up the transition to an all-electric and electric-hybrid ferry fleet.

Fullers and AT said the Waiheke Island service - which currently cost $46 return - would still be exempt from contract regulation.

Waiheke passengers should be able to access the discounted AT HOP adult monthly pass in the coming months, but an exact date is yet to be announced.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/major-auckland-ferry-overhaul-devonport-integrated-into-at-network-new-agreement-for-waiheke-island-service/7ZX45EF3YQ2A3BMPEJZQRE4BZQ/

I think there's over 130 sea legs on the Island or some stupid number, how about they use those? I think Waiheke residents should pay the full whack for the privilege and choice of living in an Island paradise, there is very little need to commute daily for a lot of people  with the internet being so good. The subsidised ferry service has turned it into very expensive suburb driving out the older locals so in effect the rest of us are funding the gentrification and private benefit for the islanders, bring back the Blue Boats I say and handle 3 hour trip like we all used too and save the high speed ferrys for the weekend daytrippers and the gold carders who btw are creaming it.  Think of the benefits, no more ferry wake when fishing in the channel, and most of Waiheke slowly turns back into a fibrolite bach backwater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Psyche said:

I think there's over 130 sea legs on the Island ... Waiheke slowly turns back into a fibrolite bach backwater.

I'm going to have to check and see if there was any fence-jumping in the family - I'm becoming increasingly concerned you are a brother lost at birth...

There are some smart guys at Fullers, certainly too sharp for AT . Yep you pay the millions to develop and get the ferries  going -and when they are operating reliably (on the inner harbour only) then we will run them for you. 😉 On a related note I see Sparky the electric tug   (with 2 x C32 Cats) is still not commissioned and the Damen guys have not handed over--another Tony Gibson lets be the first port to try it scheme! 

53 minutes ago, Ex Veladare said:

The tug came down here under it own steam.. they are launching it later this week, or next week I understand.

Is there any write-up about the delivery?  I'm interested in what range they have, and if they ran generators to get here.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hope the tug goes further than the Fonterra E tanker 140km then needs charging,Oh after a week its almost charged.

Except that it's a battery swap truck. Back on the road in under six minutes, fully charged. 

8 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hope the tug goes further than the Fonterra E tanker 140km then needs charging,Oh after a week its almost charged.

Sparky takes 2hrs to recharge and the spare E Tanker battery takes 3hrs.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Sparky takes 2hrs to recharge and the spare E Tanker battery takes 3hrs.

The range is the issue,takanini to te rapa 1/2 way back need to swap batteries,waste of money and time,nz post have gone hydrogen 400kms. 

Spare Etruck battery takes 2 hours to charge, Fonterra was quoting a small charger.

Range becomes way less relevant with 6 minute swaps. Not many can afford the costs of hydrogen without huge taxpayer support, much as the sector is getting now.

• Upvote 1

The electric ferry that has been operating in Wellingtonn for the last 4 months hasn't really made the news snice coming into service, so I assume it working fine down there?

Anyone been on it?

7 hours ago, harrytom said:

The range is the issue,takanini to te rapa 1/2 way back need to swap batteries,waste of money and time,nz post have gone hydrogen 400kms. 

The NZ Post Hyundai truck is still battery powered. The hydrogen component is a portable generator to charge the battery to provide more range. 

The Fonterra solution is far more power efficient overall because it is designed for short range. 

This is the HEV / BEV argument and it is always horses for courses.  If you only need a nominated range then BEV is the way to go.

No point putting hydrogen in the tug or the tanker when the intention is to always run in battery mode and not need the hybrid option. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

This is the HEV / BEV argument and it is always horses for courses.  If you only need a nominated range then BEV is the way to go.

Well, if the BEV can meet the nominated range, which seems to be the issue here. Agree in general though. 

On 19/07/2022 at 3:09 PM, zug said:

Is there any write-up about the delivery?  I'm interested in what range they have, and if they ran generators to get here.

Try POAL website, might be something about it there, maybe

Not sure where here or there is, but it has very short range on battery. But long range is not what it is designed for.

It has 30minutes of continuous full power. 

Which apparently equates to two ship berthage/unberthage operations at the port and then it needs to be recharged for 2 hours.

I recall reading somewhere it has 15Nm of range on batteries under optimal conditions but now cannot find that.  So take that with a grain of salt.

• Haha 1

Yes it has to have the diesels as the Port has to be able to respond to ship problems from Tiri in.  The Government  (us) are paying for the two first experimental fully electric low speed jet powered ferry, but separately AT are getting Hybrid ferries under way for the longer routes =Waiheke Gulf Harbour etc -At least they are building the first one in NZ rather than sending the money offshore. Interesting gearbox -able to take input from the electric motors or diesels.

4 hours ago, waikiore said:

Interesting gearbox -able to take input from the electric motors or diesels.

They are diesel generators which power the same electric motor.

Same concept as a PHEV or HEV. 

One can imagine that eventually the diesels will be replaced with Hydrogen fuel cells.