Not the $#@/& tablet thing again...

Yeah. The Samsung Galaxy s from 2015 is coming to the end of its useful life, it's been very good as a general Web browser and ran isailor as a secondary nav device for our pacific trips in 17 and 19. Also ovitalmap for Google earth positioning.

Being android it's possible that I didn't need the cellular version for real GPS ,but I bought that anyway.

We had a cellular ipad for predictwind offshore and ovitalmap as well, at the time predictwind was difficult to operate with android.

So the question that no sales staff or outlet seems capable of answering is  just the same as ever.

Which samsung android tablet will get a GPS fix away from cell coverage. ?

Not a-gps.( assisted gps ie reliant on cell tower triangulation)

Not really interested in other brands, having just changed phones I know all my existing apps etc can be transferred Samsung to Samsung. 

I have a samsung tablet. I would love it if it wasn't for the warning that comes up when it see's moisture in the usb port. Dumbest thing ever. You can't bypass it and it won't charge until it THINKS it is dry. Mine has been in the hot water cupboard for a week and it still thinks it's wet.

33 minutes ago, twisty said:

I have a samsung tablet. I would love it if it wasn't for the warning that comes up when it see's moisture in the usb port. Dumbest thing ever. You can't bypass it and it won't charge until it THINKS it is dry. Mine has been in the hot water cupboard for a week and it still thinks it's wet.

Was it salt water?  Salt can bridge the moisture sensor.

I always wash mine in fresh water water after it has come into contact with salt water - however do not try that if it is not water proof rated :-)

A light spray of fresh water from a spray bottle might clear the sensor.  You can try taking a pin/needle and scraping around the socket for the crud.

1 hour ago, John B said:

So the question that no sales staff or outlet seems capable of answering is  just the same as ever.

Which samsung android tablet will get a GPS fix away from cell coverage. ?

All of them will.

7 minutes ago, eruptn said:

The Garmin Glo 2 Gps Receiver For Mobile Devices is one way around this. Talks via Bluetooth to give GPS capability to any device.

Around what? 

The Glo 2 only receives two GNSS services, GPS and GLONASS.  It is an extra device that has to be charged, fed and watered.

3 hours ago, John B said:

a-gps.( assisted gps ie reliant on cell tower triangulation)

A-GPS, (its correct name is A-GNSS), has nothing to do with cell phone towers or location triangulation.  A-GNSS is a method for obtaining the GNSS constellation positions known as the GNSS Almanac.

The almanac is a list of every GNSS satellite and where it will be at a given point in time for the next few days.   A device uses the Almanac to lock onto satellites at a higher speed than it can by scanning. 

A device doesn't need cell phone coverage to download the almanac, it needs Internet access which could be provided by a cable, WiFi or a cell service. 

As soon as a device finds one satellite, it consults the almanac to locate all other satellites and know where to look. 

That's a pretty cool little product, independant GPS.  While not new tech it's quite handy really.  

If I had that I'd have wireless wind via Bluetooth, Wireless GPS via Bluetooth, Wireless depth via Bluetooth.  

So far I've had a very good result with wireless wind and depth products.  Power consumption is so small I don't even turn them off.  In fact the wind powers itself via it's solar panel. 

To get around the connected tablets getting wet issue, we added wireless charging pads to our Ipad Mini's inside a waterproof case.  I then 3D printed some holders for them so they sit in place all the time they are charged wirelessly via their charge pads.  So far so good.  Means the Ipad's can remain totally sealed in their cases.  The new Ipad Mini's 6 is such a good size for navigation devices if you are looking.  Here are the wireless charger bits that go inside the case:  https://www.gadgets4geeks.com.au/nillkin-magic-tag-plus-wireless-charging-receiver-card-for-ipad-air-pro

This is very simple:
Android tablets = all have GPS. No need for the more expensive cellular version unless you want it to double as a phone.  So, your new Samsung tablet will be fine.

IOS (Apple) tablets = GPS only with cellular versions (thanks Apple...not!) Apple simply want you to pay more for the GPS version hence their sneaky ploy of only inserting the GPS with cellular models

Here is a good article on choosing a tablet for sailing navigation:  
https://sailingkerguelen.com/en/best-gps-tablet-navigation-android-apple/

• Like 3

I use my non cellular S3 Galaxy Tablet regularly for GPS location using OpenCPN and the NZ chart set. I use it as an e reader so often use it on planes where if i am next to a window, the tablet will get GPS signal and i can see where we are and how fast we are going etc.