Some salient advice for cheap yacht buyers

I once saw a newly purchased old steel boat come up onto the hard at The Landing in Orakei Auckland. The washdown hose pierced the final bit of rusty metal that had stopped it from sinking. The new owners were devastated. It says something about negotiating who pays for pre-purchase inspections too.

• Upvote 1

so if anyone would like to restore a Askew 28 (make a nice day sailer or overnighter) that has a nice hull but knackered decks get in touch.

Prefer someone with a boat trailer that lives outside of Wellington :-)

• Haha 1

Using different words to say the same as been said, "Ain't no such thing as a cheap yacht".

Boats cost you twice. As an example, lets say it was $100K to build. Over it's lifetime, it is going to one day cost you that $100K again. You can chip away at it year by year with maintenance, or do nothing and eventually have it get to the point were it is gong to cost you $100K to get it back to being a usable boat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 10/05/2022 at 5:35 AM, DrWatson said:

Trailer yachts cost a fair amount less over their lifetime , I’m convinced

All the moreso as marina costs go up and up and up. 

There was another listed in TM recently. Just one pic of the outside and that looked bad enough. Asking price was $5K. I jokingly sent the Pic to a mate and asked if he thought that was a fair price, or if I should ask the lister for more to take it to the dump.
There are still a few out there that think their Boats are worth way more than they are ever going to get for them.

He seemed like a nice guy, I'd never buy a boat off him though.

There's a really weird mix of boats at the moment, over priced pieces of junk, dreaming half million dollar machines (but nice ones!), and surprisingly well priced tidy cruising boats that seem to sell fast.

On 10/05/2022 at 5:35 AM, DrWatson said:

Trailer yachts cost a fair amount less over their lifetime , I’m convinced

Well , with a swing keel your pogo would realistically sit on a launching trailer ….on your front lawn in KK , big 4WD or a tractor would launch it 

2 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

I've got a 37 foot CBer that would sit nicely on a trailer, just need a tabernacle for the mast and an overwidth permit. Oh and the 4wd tractor and trailer..

Yeah that’s the rub , if you don’t have waterfront or a yacht club with parking and launching it doesn’t make sense to put a big boat on a trailer ….unless you are in the USA