pole ends - triggers or trigger less.

Bogan

We've been having trouble with the pistons in our spinnaker pole jamming. (Forespar Ultra with internal triggers)

They're getting long in the tooth I think. Having disassembled them the trigger has been slowly wearing on the piston and made it a bit bumpy, and the tail end of the piston has worn a little on the barrel. The spring load from the trigger pushes the piston hard against the barrel. With the wear on the barrel and the bumpy piston surface this is enough to hold the piston back against the spring force.

If I take the triggers out I can get a few more years out of these ends. Any comments on whether we're going to miss them?

I'd say you'll miss 'em - especially in top-end conditions - but it won't be the end of the world. It's nice to have the jaws held open and waiting for the new brace but boats did gybe successfully before those versions came out.

Having said that, if you got someone to machine up a couple of new pistons from stainless rod, would that solve the problem?

Bogan, I commend you for having the perspicacity to seek the collected wisdom of your fellows on this critical matter.

At it's most superficial level, the effect is that a couple of bow operations become a bit more two-handed in nature and jybes are typically not quite so clean, keep in mind that the springs in poles with triggers are typically a bit stronger than those without which doesn't help.

At a less direct level, the consequences are somewaht more far reaching, uniformly dire in nature and will in all probability lead to your suicide.

The first of these impacts that you will notice, albeit rather subtlely, is the continuous wining of your bowman. That your bowman is continuously wining will of course not be the subtle change, the change will be what they are wining about, that being how much better the pole was, how terrible you are for making it worse, how every mistake that they are accused of making is because the pole has no trigger, not that they made a mistake, but if they were to it would be because there was no trigger, I'm sure you get the idea.

Now, in itself of course this can all pretty much be ignored and usually is, even in the unlikely event your bowman might on one specific occasion sometime in the next few decades be right, however, before you can say "Okay, I give up, I'll change the bloody thing", news will spread to the bowmans union and the rot will start to spread.

Before you know it, bowmen all over the world will hurl abuse, sub-optimal fruit and other less savoury objects at you on start lines and mark roundings, your family will be kidnapped by Chinese Triads, groups masked in oversized wet-weather gear will burn crosses on your front lawn most nights and you'll soon tire of waking to find horse heads at the end of your bed.

None of this is of course overly serious and is pretty much taken in stride by any person of requisite moral character, such as I'm sure you are but what also happens is the wining of all other bowman throughout the world also subtlely changes.

Whereas previously the continuously wine about whatever they continuously wine about, they will now start to add the phrase "and the bowman on ... was right which proves all bowman are right so you have to listen.

Now, the wiser among us know better, however the world is not perfect and there are (I'm embarrassed to admit) owners amongst us who will weaken, if only to stop or change the repetitious taunts from the bow.

This is when things get ugly, these owners will have influence, governments by this stage will be caving to the pressure from the B.U., basically the world will be out to get you. People will shun you at parties, protest committees will rule against you, the RC will continuously call you OCS, you will be repeatedly gang audited by entire buildings of Inlad Revenue tax auditors. By the end of the week, your yacht club will have held a special meeting to eject you, your bank accounts will be looted and you will be pursued wherever you go by squadrons of parking wardens.

At this stage there's pretty much no way out, you will be suffering from sleep depravation because your phone number is at the top of every telemarketing list, you can not escape into cyberspace because your internet bandwidth is choked with junk mail, no country will allow you to emigrate. As noted earlier, there's pretty much only one way out.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Bogan, I commend you for having the perspicacity to seek the collected wisdom of your fellows on this critical matter.

At it's most superficial level, the effect is that a couple of bow operations become a bit more two-handed in nature and jybes are typically not quite so clean, keep in mind that the springs in poles with triggers are typically a bit stronger than those without which doesn't help.

At a less direct level, the consequences are somewaht more far reaching, uniformly dire in nature and will in all probability lead to your suicide.

The first of these impacts that you will notice, albeit rather subtlely, is the continuous wining of your bowman. That your bowman is continuously wining will of course not be the subtle change, the change will be what they are wining about, that being how much better the pole was, how terrible you are for making it worse, how every mistake that they are accused of making is because the pole has no trigger, not that they made a mistake, but if they were to it would be because there was no trigger, I'm sure you get the idea.

Now, in itself of course this can all pretty much be ignored and usually is, even in the unlikely event your bowman might on one specific occasion sometime in the next few decades be right, however, before you can say "Okay, I give up, I'll change the bloody thing", news will spread to the bowmans union and the rot will start to spread.

Before you know it, bowmen all over the world will hurl abuse, sub-optimal fruit and other less savoury objects at you on start lines and mark roundings, your family will be kidnapped by Chinese Triads, groups masked in oversized wet-weather gear will burn crosses on your front lawn most nights and you'll soon tire of waking to find horse heads at the end of your bed.

None of this is of course overly serious and is pretty much taken in stride by any person of requisite moral character, such as I'm sure you are but what also happens is the wining of all other bowman throughout the world also subtlely changes.

Whereas previously the continuously wine about whatever they continuously wine about, they will now start to add the phrase "and the bowman on ... was right which proves all bowman are right so you have to listen.

Now, the wiser among us know better, however the world is not perfect and there are (I'm embarrassed to admit) owners amongst us who will weaken, if only to stop or change the repetitious taunts from the bow.

This is when things get ugly, these owners will have influence, governments by this stage will be caving to the pressure from the B.U., basically the world will be out to get you. People will shun you at parties, protest committees will rule against you, the RC will continuously call you OCS, you will be repeatedly gang audited by entire buildings of Inlad Revenue tax auditors. By the end of the week, your yacht club will have held a special meeting to eject you, your bank accounts will be looted and you will be pursued wherever you go by squadrons of parking wardens.

At this stage there's pretty much no way out, you will be suffering from sleep depravation because your phone number is at the top of every telemarketing list, you can not escape into cyberspace because your internet bandwidth is choked with junk mail, no country will allow you to emigrate. As noted earlier, there's pretty much only one way out.

Hope this is of some assistance.

or.......you could have the tubby butted owner up front to play with his/her own crap for a while while the bowman moves to helm and plays "capn snakewake" searching out waves to wash the newness out of their sparkling new wet weather gear

Markm - wonderful quantum explanation :lol:

or.......you could have the tubby butted owner up front to play with his/her own crap for a while while the bowman moves to helm and plays "capn snakewake" searching out waves to wash the newness out of their sparkling new wet weather gear

L4 - that is all well and good, but being a stuck fast helm monkey, he will never do the job anywhere as well as you can, and will stuff it all up, and you will have to go for'd and fix it! And once back in his safety zone, he will not leave . . .

Both slow and bored MS and I thought it time we started a frontier land vs. fantasy land war, it's the only trivial argument we haven't had here yet, I do admit though winding up frontier land isn't very challenging.

(Apologies B for sidetracking your post)

I never realised you guys down the back could hear us "whining" (or, as we would see it, making a perfectly reasonable request for some f*cking slack in the f*cking brace if you would actually like it connected to the f*cking sail within the next five f*cking minutes).

This revelation changes the game entirely...

Were you also listening when we called you a pack of deaf c*nts?

Yep - had a bit of a sit-down and a beer while I was downstairs. How are you guys doing on the beat?

Oh, I packed your lunch into the middle of the kite too. A bit of foredeck humour, we will be laughing.

Funniest thing heard from a forrard hand when screamed at by the tiller monkey that he was too f*kin' slow was "I might be slow, but I'm still in front of you useless c*nts!" :thumbup:

All fine by me, cause I like doing bow more than I like being the tiller pilot.

We'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. Can't be worse than our present efforts.

Archived